Splitview - New plugin with splitscreen preview

@Malvese

Now I released a version (we can call it 0.91) which for me works with the PHP server. Can you try it out? If your on a Mac, can you try if the keyboard shortcut work after these changes?

https://github.com/jenstornell/splitview

2 Likes

Yay! It works fine now, the shortcut on Mac OS, and running it with the PHP server. Well done @jenstornell!

1 Like

Finally! Thanks for your time with the testing!

To summerize: Deletion of some slashes and dots solved these problems.

@servicethinker Does it work for you now? Can I close this issue?

https://github.com/jenstornell/splitview/issues/100

Kirby Splitview for panelBar

Do you use Splitview and the panelBar plugin? Or do you want to be able to click on something to bring up the Splitview, instead of the keyboard shortcut?

Then the Kirby Splitview for panelBar might be what you are looking for. It add a link to the panelBar. The screenshot shows the panelBar (not the Splitview).

https://github.com/jenstornell/kirby-splitview-panel-bar

You do something like this to make it work. More info in the docs .

c::set('panelbar.elements', array(
  'edit',
  'splitview_link'
));

Credit goes to @distantnative for helping me with this plugin and for creating the panelBar plugin.

3 Likes

i have tested it in Knoppix (Linux) the Browser is Chromium :smiley:

Abandon Splitview - Do you want to take over?

Iā€™m abandon this project and will not add any more updates to it.

If you want to take over the development, just send me a message or a comment and I will give you the repo.

Reasons

• Iā€™ve tested it in a real live production environment and it did not work as well as I was expecting.
  • I took a long time to build and it will probably do if Iā€™ll continue.
  • It does not support multi language.
  • I agree with many that it should preview before the save, not after. Splitview canā€™t do that.

Reveal - New plugin

Iā€™m making a completely new plugin called ā€œRevealā€. Itā€™s kind of a replacement for Splitview but from the inside and without the extras.

Some short info about it:

• Itā€™s a panel field, registered from a plugin.
  • It extends the textarea field.
  • Preview before save.
  • Splitscreen.
  • Add css file to get your style.
  • Add html template to get your markup.
  • Is using Ajax which means it takes kirbytext tags and other stuff into account.

Except for a few minor things + docs Iā€™m already done. There is a reveal plugin on my Github account, but donā€™t use it. Itā€™s far from the same thing.

2 Likes

Congrats on the initial effort for SplitView though, I agree that it would probably be a beast to maintain and make sure it works in more situations for more people. Sometimes letting a project go and going for something simpler based on your hard-won experience is the right move. :100:

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile: Yes, if my heart is not there for the project, Iā€™m not the one for it.

One reason the new one is much simpler is that when doing it like I do now, from the inside of the panel, many of the features are simply not needed anymore.

Too bad it took a lot of effort in building Splitview to realize that. I guess itā€™s learning by doingā€¦

Teaser of the new Reveal plugin

What do you think about this? Itā€™s probably close to the final version.

• This preview is activated by a button next to the textarea.
  • Itā€™s closed by an X in the upper right corner.
  • The content is parsed, for example kirbytext tags.
  • A green line shows what field is active, in this case the second field.

Click image to make it large

Now is the best time for feedback, ideas, questions etc.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Haha! Iā€™m already following reveal on github even though it says ā€˜DONā€™T USE ITā€™. I knew it would turn out amazing!

Is it in a state where we can test t to provide feedback? Iā€™m not sure my feedback now with just the screeshot would be any worth.

Keep up the awesome work!

Itā€™s rewritten and not really the same field as that repo anymore. You can try it but donā€™t have any expectations at all. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll open a new post when the real plugin is there.

Sounds promising!
Quick idea, possibly totally dumb: you wrote it extends the textarea field, so I guess we have to use a ā€œRevealā€ field to get this feature. It means if I want to preview a markdown field Iā€™m out of luck? So what about using such a field as a preview of other fields? In the blueprint we would give a list of the fields it can preview.

Yes, you are right. At the current state it only supports the textarea field. However, if the textarea field is overwritten by another textarea field, it will probably work as well.

An example is this one by @thguenther:

Markdown field

Maybe Iā€™ll add support for the markdown field as well, but probably not in the first version.

1 Like

Iā€™m now very close to release for the new Reveal plugin. It will probably be released next week.

Here is another teaser:

Click to enlarge:

Feedback are always welcome.

Have a nice weekend!

6 Likes

Greta plugin! Any news about release date?
Thanks! :wink:

There is a working version, but there are some details Iā€™m not fully happy with yet, so itā€™s on hold. When I need it myself again I will finish it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You canā€™t compare, but the YAMKE field has a side-by-side editing mode (with live preview).

Kirby YAKME - yet another kirby markdown editor

Like I said; you can not compare a WYWIWYG-preview with the Editor Field I mention here, but maybe it can come in handy for some of us.

https://github.com/1n3JgKl9pQ6cUMrW/Kirby-YAKME/raw/master/kirby_yakme-capture.gif

To compare the new Reveal field with Yakme (from my perspective):

Yakme

• An editor
  • Very fast preview (JS)

Reveal

• Inherit the textarea and add a preview mode to that.
  • Live front end preview with the real output including kirbytext tags etc (Ajax)

Both

• Both fields have a splitscreen mode.

I hope to support Yakme at some point to the Reveal field. Could be a really powerful combo.