Kirby Revisions 2 - Poll about what to do with it

I have not worked with the plugin for quite a while. I’m not sure. Maybe you could add an issue on Github and I’ll look into it in the future.

But for now, check that the field name is matched exatcly.

Kirby Revisions

When building Kirby Revisions it seemed like the best idea to place the revisions in the content folder. I could then use many built in Kirby Panel core functions.

But there was a downside to it. The revision folder needs to be excluded in snippets and templates. Another thing is that it will flood the panel search with revisions.

@digisam

I was surprised how such a major issue hadn’t been spotted before as it makes the plugin unusable unless the person installing is prepared to make significant changes to Kirby’s core files

What should I do with it?

• Delete the repository
  • Give away the repo to someone else
  • Wait for Kirby to figure something out in the core
  • Something else (requires a comment)
  • Start over from scratch and not use the content folder
0 voters

Sorry to have caused so much trouble, it was an example I used when talking about a different topic :flushed:

I chose Something else and I think the easiest thing to do is also the most effective

Just put a note on the repo saying almost exactly what you have said above just fleshed out a bit

e.g.

Kirby Revisions (DEPRECIATED)

When building Kirby Revisions it seemed like the best idea to place the revisions in the content folder. I could then use many built in Kirby Panel core functions.

But there were some downsides:

The revision folder needs to be excluded wherever you were using a query in your snippets and templates. There was no global way to fix this.

When using autocomplete in the panel, the revisions would flood the results .

https://github.com/jenstornell/kirby-revisions/issues/312
https://forum.getkirby.com/t/kirby-plugin-installer/6734/162?source_topic_id=4991

The repo will remain here for others who want to learn from it or use elements that are working fine.

But for now…

This plugin should be considered as DEPRECIATED

Or something along those lines :slight_smile:

Which was all I was suggesting in the other topic, so thank you.

By the few votes to judge there is no clear solution how to solve the problem. I’m not sure if “deprecated” would be the right word for it. If Kirby add something that could fix it, it would just be a minor enhancement to the plugin to solve this.

But I agree that I should write a note about it in the readme and perhaps even add a beta label on it. It’s still not a useless plugin, as long as you don’t search in the panel. :wink:

Anyway. I’m still not convinced of a solution to it yet. Time will tell.

Well, I would probably move it out of the content folder.

But I agree, as long as it works, it is not deprecated, nor is it a beta version. It is just a working plugin with limitations. I’m just wondering if permissions wouldn’t make it possible to hide those pages from the panel search, not tested.

For Git users, a Git approach would certainly make more sense. But for those who do not use Git, a file based alternative would be helpful.

2 Likes

Alternatives?

@mungle For Kirby 3 or 2?

In any case, there is no other plugin I’m aware of.

Kirby 3… that will be very very very useful in terms of safety…! Just deleted the content of a whole page by mistake! :sob:

It’s always a good idea to have regular backups…

If you have git, consider using a git plugin for the content folder: GitHub - thathoff/kirby-git-content: Commit and Push changes made via the Panel

@mungle Sorry about your loss. I agree with @texnixe that if you can make Git work, it’s probably a very solid idea.

I still think it would be nice to have revisions built into the panel. I don’t mean to duplicate every feature that Git has, just like an autobackup of the X most recent saves in something like a .revisions folder.

That would also open up for new kind of third party plugins. One plugin could be to be able to restore data. Another could be to compare diffs.

@bastianallgeier Do you have revision support planned for some time in the future? or do you think that Git is THE solution for problems like this?