Kirby Plugin Installer

I was curious what this actually did so I tried to install it. The widget did appear but was telling me “page not found”.

But I agree with the general concern about “releasing” this.

Given the person installing the plugin would need to provide the repository information and most plugins usually requiring some element of work to be done on the source files anyway, I struggle to see the how this provides any value for the person installing it. Yet I can see how this could be the source of major problems if anyone did use it without knowing exactly what they were doing.

You are obviously someone that does know what they are doing :sunglasses:

But is it wise to call it a “release” and listing it on a plugins list (however unofficial) when you are playing the idea “to try it out”?

Maybe describing them as alpha and in development would be more accurate.

There is so that could go wrong for someone who installs it. Especially with the type person searching for a “plugin installer” solution may not know Kirby at the level you are assuming they are.

I speak from experience, as I was building my first Kirby site was around the time you were releasing Revisions 2.5 to an appreciative community.

After installing I discovered the way it stored revisions in folders was not compatible with some of the core Kirby concepts. We spoke about it in an issue and you acknowledged it was a system wide problem and not a small managable tweak you could require the user to make.

I don’t mean to dismiss all the excellent work you do for the community, it really is appreciated. I respect the way open source works, and never expect or demand anything from those that contribute to it.

But I was surprised how such a major issue hadn’t been spotted before as it makes the plugin unusable unless the person installing is prepared to make significant changes to Kirby’s core files (please correct me if I am wrong).

I had a couple of other experiences with plugins (from other developers). They started off in a blaze of glory with frequent updates and fixes galore, then end up stagnant and broken.

Now whilst I love Kirby Core, I am ultra cautious in my approach to its plugins, in a way I am not when it comes to WordPress. I don’t use many plugins on WordPress but the handful I use, I know I can rely on.

:sleeping:

Ooops, this was a bit longer than I anticipated. I want to reiterate that I don’t mean any offence and I appreciate all the effort that goes into the software and the community.

2 Likes