Is Kirby capable of handling large image sets? (stock image library)

Hi all,

Iv’e used Kirby a bunch of times for smaller projects and its brilliant! But i’m wondering how well it will perform as a CMS for an internal stock image library.
The stock library currently displays around 1000 images (thumbnails) on a page and each image has a small, medium and large option to download. Ive also built filtering via data tags and query search so users can refine their image results.

Will Kirby be able to store and handle this many images? The current largest image available to download is around 50mb (insane ik), although only the smallest thumbnail versions of each image are physically displayed.

It depends on what you mean with “able to store and handle this many images”.

I think storing these is absolutely no problem and depends on your hosting.

Handling these images might be trickier, especially if you want to resize images this size. You better test this on your hosting, or get a dedicated server that has lots of memory. Another thing where you can choke Kirby is if you have expectations that Kirby will do this in realtime (on page request) -> this most probably won’t fly and you’ll probably need custom logic. E.g. hooks that trigger resizes on image upload and/or workers to pre-heat caches.

Thanks for that, Ive actually tried it now on my server and it seems to be doing a good job, better then expected.

The one thing to be careful with is calls to $site->index() (that is true for bigger sites in general).

1 Like