I can't get starter kit installed

Hi. I can’t seem to be able to install the starter kit. I have been following the tutorial on YouTube, but keep getting their error:
Warning : Unknown: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error : Unknown: Failed opening required ‘kirby/router.php’ (include_path=’.:’) in Unknown on line 0

Any guidance on what may i be doing wrong?

Thxs.

What are you trying to do? Sounds as if you are trying to start Kirby using PHP’s built-in server?

Hi! Thxs so much for the reply. Trying to solve this consumed pretty much all my afternoon and well into the evening ydy.

In deed, I was trying to start Kirby using PHP’s built-in server following your YouTube tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDVYjxWMecc&t=194s. It all went well until I tried to load a blog template that I got from your website, which I could not do. When I tried to load back the starter kit, I kept getting that error that I mentioned above. I greatly appreciate your help since I have a deadline to put up a web page before the weekend, and I really liked the platform. When I buy the license, will I keep getting that error? Please excuse my ignorance, they might seem very basic questions, but I am no coder or designer.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hm, adding a template to /site/templates should not cause such an error. But of course, with that little information its hard to tell what went wrong and where.

The router is a file that is located in the /kirby folder which is part of a Starterkit. So assuming your complete Kirby installation is inside a folder starterkit, then you have to go into that folder and from inside that folder call php -S localhost:8000 kirby/router.php

Make sure that folder and the file are still there and you are in the right place when you call it.

On a side note: While using the built-in server is ok for quick tests, in my opionion it pays off to use a proper local development environment.

ok, maybe I will switch to that…

For the starter kit, I did exactly what you said, following the tutorial posted on your YT channel. I uploaded to my Google Drive the screen recording of what I am doing so you can see what I might be doing wrong… https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hOUr_FSbp8SESUYIkS5_g3spDkksoJov/view?usp=sharing

I fear that if this issue is not solved, the license that I get will not run either…
Thanks again for your help.

You are not in the starterkit-master folder, you first have to cd into that folder from your current location, which is /Users/andresizarra. That’s why its telling you that that is your current document root.

Whereas /Users/andresizarra/Downloads/starterkit-master is the location of the project.

oh! And how do I do that?

cd Downloads/starterkit-master

Failed to listen on localhost:8080 (reason: Address already in use)
Andress-RetinaiMac:starterkit-master andresizarra$

that is what I get

Because you did not stop the running process that you started before in the other folder.

If you don’t want to go back and stop the running process, you could however use a different port now, e.g. 8000 instead of 8080.

To stop such a process you use CMD+C on a Mac.

Sorry to be such an ignorant, it makes me feel bad. Maybe I need to learn more before stepping into Kirby. I did what you tolde me, at least that is what I think, but it did not work. I do not want to waste more of your time. Thanks for your help.

If you are not familiar with a terminal, then a visual development environment like Mamp/Xampp is probably the better alternative.

Done! I solved it!!! You’re the best!!! Thanks so much!!! I fell like hugging you!!! I was so frustrated. Thanks again!

Sonja, I am trying now to install the starter kit with XAMPP, but I now get

The Panel assets cannot be installed properly. The directory “/opt/lampp/htdocs/plainkit-master/media/panel” cannot be created

I can not log in to the panel to start working. Any ideas what’s wrong now?

Then the folder probably doesn’t have the proper permission settings for the webserver user to write to it.

Folder/file rights must be 755/644.

I think you should move your project to another location inside your user folder (not opt), on Mac there is usually a /Sites folder, then point Xampp to that folder instead. That should actually solve this issue.

Move the starter-kit folder out of htdocs into a Sites folder (my mac does not have one)?

You can create any folder inside your user folder, e.g. /Users/yourname/sites, then put your Kirby project in there.

ok, I did that and now I get:

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

Before, when the Kirby project folder was in htdocs, I got the Magazine page that comes with the starter kit, allthough I could not log into the admin panel

Well, as I said above, you have to tell Xampp that it now should go looking in your new folder for projects.

I do not know how. Thanks anyway.