How to make a website? I'm searching a better way

Can someone give me an advice for the best sites where I can read more about accessibility and strutured data?

Which sites are important to read? There are so many and I don’t really know which one is the best for me as a Newby.

Thanks for your help.

As regards web accessibility, I’d probably start here: http://webaim.org/intro/

They also have an an online tool for checking your website: http://wave.webaim.org/

1 Like

Thx for this website. I read it in the next few days and make me a list of the important things.

Then I don’t really understand the differences between JSON-LD and schema.org. What is better for structured data? Or is there no difference between them?

I have been making websites for 20 years, and I don’t think I have ever made two sites using the same methods. There is always going to be more to learn, you will try things and some you will like and use again, and others you will not get on with.

There is no “best way” to make a site, there are so many ways to do the same thing. I think Chris and Dave from http://shoptalkshow.com/ sum it up perfectly with thier response to “what’s the best way? how do i get better? what shall i learn next?” type of questions.

#“Just build websites”

It has become a bit of a mantra, but it is very true. Dive in, get coding, make mistakes, engage smug mode when something finally works, but just build websites :slight_smile:

Off you go then :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I understand what do you mean.

I think for me it is the “best” way to think about what I want to “say” with my website and build it like I want.

Learn und experiment with different technologies on the way to my website. And then I will learn more about it all. Make mistakes is a part of the learning process.

thx @digisam

Fortunately a website is not like any other creative deliverable. If something is wrong, even after the release, it is very easy to fix the error. This makes it possible to experiment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have to change my point of view. I have to put more creative time in it and less time about thinking what I don’t can make.

I have to say to myself:

You can make everything. Experiments are the answer.

But for today I have somethin more to read about schema.org and accessibility. In the next few days I will write you what are the next steps in my creative learning process.

It’s a little “crazy” question but I hope you can help me.

When do you install Kirby plugins in your projects?

Before you started with writing of code for the website or do you make the most parts ready and after that install the plugins and make the changes?

I think there is no general rule. Sometimes you know right from the start that you want to use a plugin, e.g. if you want to include a form, you might want to use the Uniform plugin, or if you want to use patterns or modules, use the Patterns and/or Modules plugin. It makes sense to make such decisions right from the start. Sometimes, things change while you develop a project for a client, they suddenly make up their mind and want additional functionality, which might require a plugin.

Then again, a plugin can be anything from simple functions that you develop while writing your code to complex plugins from a third party.

If you have almost finished your website and then suddenly want to use patterns, that would require a lot of additional work and might not be worth the effort as an afterthought, unless you plan to extend your website at a later stage.

1 Like

Ok, I understand.

For example:

The form plugin Uniform and the Kirby builder field are some plugins which I have to install right from the start because they’re important for some functions or ideas which I want to have.

But a comments plugin is something what I can install after all because this is easy to integrate after all is ready.

The Uniform plugin or a comments plugins can easily be installed at a later stage, I think. But plugins that concern the structure of a site, like patterns, modules, builder etc. should probably be installed right from beginning (if they are needed at all).

In general, I would stick with the core as much as possible, and only install plugins that are really needed for a given project (as you don’t know if or when plugins will be updated). With a personal website, you can be more adventurous, I guess, than with a client project, unless you are in a position to update plugins yourself if necessary. But that’s just my personal opinion.

I totally agree. A personal website is different to a clients one.

I can do more experiments. So I make the decission that I use three plugins fromt the beginning:

1.) The kirby builder field for some structure experiments.
2.) The Uniform plugin for my contact form.
3.) The Footnotes plugin for footnotes in my blog posts.

Also I think about the use of the Imagekit Plugin but that is something what needs some time to think about.

Comments are something for the end of the working and coding process.

I think that I have learned many things in the last days and for the future there will be enough what I have to learn as well. But now is the time to start with coding.

After the hot weather I will start on monday to code my website. Learning by doing is the best way and when I have questions I have many websites and blogs to read or can ask here.

I will say that it will be a cool journey because I never thought that I will code my website by myself. Learning to code will be a great new hobby for me and who knows what the future brings.

For the next weeks I will make step by step and go from header to footer and fromg snippet to snippet to create my website. When it’s ready I will show you result.

Thx to all who gives me a bit of inspiration how to go on.

3 Likes

Good morning together,

I want to note issues or make a version control for my website development.

Make it sence when I use Atom as Editor and Github for the other parts? But it has to be a private project.

If you don’t want to pay for an account but want a private repository I recommend trying bit bucket. And yes version control makes sense!

I think Atom is a good choice as editor, especially if you use the Atom snippets provided by @thguenther. But you can in fact use any editor you like and feel comfortable with.

And as regards version control, I’d also recommend it, and it does not really take long to learn the basics.

Here is the link to Bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/

Edit: GitLab also offers free private and public repos. And if you prefer a self-hosted solution, there’s also the GitLab community edition (the latter may be a bit overkill, but who knows what you are up to…:wink:).

2 Likes

@Thiousi and @texnixe thx for your tipps. I will look at Bitbucket, the Atom snippets and also at GitLab.

I wish all a great sunny weekend.

1 Like

Bitbucket and Co. are something completly new for me. And the first testing wasn’t very well.

I don’t really know how to start with it. I hope someone can giv me some tipps how I go forward.

GitHub has an interactive tutorial on using Git.
If you want to learn Git in detail, our friends at fournova (makers of the Tower app) have some great learning resources as well.

1 Like

Thx for this links. Now I’m testing it again and it’s works better.

Now I have a question:

I have two branches “master” and “development”. The master is for the original starterkit of kirby and the development for the creating of my website.

Or should I use different branches for each files in my project?