Forgot password and can't install new user "The passwords do not match"

Hey there,

I lost my password to the (only) kirby user. After removing the folder from site/accounts/ I can install a new user and set a password (only one field). If I submit it throws an error pop-up that “The passwords do not match”. I am a bit lost here as there’s nothing the single entered password can be matched against?

Thanks in advance for helping me out…

Did you do this via the Panel installation or manually? Does this happen locally or on a remote server? Which Kirby version?

I tried to install via the panel (domain.com/panel/installation) and this happens on a server. I don’t know the version of Kirby, how do I find out? The readme.md says “© 2009-2019”…

Does your installation have a composer.json in the project root? It should have the Kirby version, something like

"require": {
    "php": ">=7.4.0 <8.2.0",
    "getkirby/cms": "^3.6",
  },

Also check what PHP version your server is running. It is likely that you are running an outdated Kirby version with a PHP version that doesn’t match.

"require": {
        "php": ">=7.1.0",
        "getkirby/cms": "^3.0"
    },

I’m running PHP 7.4.33 on my server.

Support for PHP 7.4 was added in Kirby 3.3.2, you are running an older Kirby version, so this is most likely the reason why you are running into this issue now. You would have to either downgrade your PHP version (although that might not even be possible and would be quite risky, considering that even PHP 7.4 is reaching EOL in a few days). Or upgrade Kirby to at least 3.3.2 (we are currently at 3.8.2).

Thank you so much!! Upgraded and everything worked as expected.