What plugins do you miss?

Hi,
I do a image what I mean. i think this is the best explain.

You could customize my subpagelist plugin to achieve this. To not repeat myself you can go on reading here :wink:

There you’ll find all relevant links. Don’t hesitate to ask, if you have any questions or problems implementing it.

Field in the panel: Download and add image by url would be nice sometimes. Even add image from another page.

I would like a panel plugin for Glimpse JS, it should render a glimpse data-string and add it to the image meta-data. Then it would be nice if some method existed in the Kirby API to retrieve all glimpses from a page/entry.

I’ll be working on it, it might take some time.

I have done something like wished InstaKirby that works with new api, will release soon. since https://github.com/PWesterdale/KirbyGram does not really work. @luxlogica

the deed is done: Plugin: InstagramAPI – Endpoints access (BETA)

edit: fixed link. thanks @luxlogica

Global panel media – something like this, @jenstornell?

First proof of concept: https://github.com/distantnative/panel-media

4 Likes

Yes. I have already created a plugin like this myself, but I never released it because of a Kirby bug https://github.com/getkirby/panel/issues/959.

My plugin is a field to be used in site (panel options). It looks like you have taken a different approach, maybe a better one.

Anyway, when I built my plugin there was two things I thought about:

• Cache 300 nested pages with 10 images on each page is 3000 images scatterd through folder. Could it be slow? It needs to search for all the files in all the pages on every refresh. I was about to create a kind of an index using hooks when a file was changed or a page was renamed/deleted. Do you see the need for a cache or is it fast enough?
  • Sorting. You sort by page which is great as a default. It could also make sense to sort by filename and modified. Filename is good when want to find duplicates of images visually (even if there are other tools for that as well). Modified is good to see which images was added recently. What do you think about a sorting feature?

Anyway, it looks like a really good start and it would be nice to kill my proof of concept and let you build this thing.

Indeed, I used this one as a case study for a plugin’s custom panel view (and it worked!). You do not need to add anything to a blueprint as with fields. Only I could not yet find a way to add a button to the dropdown menu and hence need to rely on widgets as buttons/ways to the panel view. I used it for the new config panel view of the panelBar.

There would definitely be the need for something like this. Calling $site->index()->files() gets slow quite easily, with much less pages and files then you mention.

Reasonable ideas, in my view. Good thing with this solution: you get your custom panel view, which really is like a blank slate in the panel. You can do pretty much anything you want. Include custom CSS, JS…

Given my limited time, I am not sure if I will manage to work on any of these features. Priority lies on my plugins. But of course I would be happy to see PRs. I think this proof of concept shows in a quite simple way how to create and use such a custom panel view (workaround, since it is not really easily supported, but this workaround works pretty well so far).

1 Like

Off the top of my head, I would like the following in Kirby:

1. Batch content modification - deletion, status changes, moving content between sections
  2. Easier way to build menus without going through several each loops.
  3. Ability to add metadata to multimedia files from within the panel.

:slight_smile:

This is possible with file fields. Or do you mean something different?

Ah HA! I did not know you could do that. I understood from the docs that adding information like captions to videos and images was limited to manually add text files outside of the panel. Thanks for the tip.

Nice, my logger plugin uses a custom panel view as well (as do two or three other plugins), but I have now refactored the code base based on yours, looks a bit cleaner now.

Yes, would be nice to be able to add such custom views to the menu instead of having to create a widget every time.

2 Likes

@texnixe @distantnative

It seems to be very useful. A long time ago I made a very simple admin page. @flokosiol updated it a bit.

Anyway, maybe it will be a panel core feature in the future, who knows. Until then, maybe it could be nice to have some kind of a boilerplate plugin that only includes custom panel views?

If there is not time for it it’s fine, just wanted to drop the idea.

The Panel Media plugin in its current state is actually the perfect boilerplate as it does not have any complex logic in it yet.

I think it will be at one time or the other.

You are probably right @texnixe. Maybe break it out and place it in a new repo before it gets complex then @distantnative?

just in case someone wishes for newsletter plugin with panel support but did not dare to speak up. here it is…

Even if this post is great to see what everyone wishes for, it’s a bit hard to follow. Some write in the wiki-post and others write ideas in the comments. On top of that there is a discussion. I’m not judging anyone but I think that it could be improved.

Kirby Plugin Wishlist - Released!

Today I’ve released the repository Kirby Plugin Wishlist. I’ve copied all the plugin ideas into that repository so everything exists there as well. Some plugin ideas was solved so I added these as closed issues.

I think it will be much easier to maintain similar to Kirby Plugins.

It’s using Github issues which has many benefits:

• One plugin idea is one issue
  • Open/closed depending on if the idea is still relevant
  • Tags for filtering
  • Search
  • Comments on each plugin idea
5 Likes

Good start for Kirby Plugin Wishlist repository

I really think the new repository Kirby Plugin Wishlist got a good start.

It has interesting discussions like the one about menus.

New plugins

It also got birth to new plugins, a table field #20 and a social button plugin #14 (screenshots inside).

The new plugins are called Kirby Tablex and Kirby Sharingbuttons.

Nice work guys! :slight_smile:

Hold on Jens. Now i have to update the docs and screenshots! Ouch

1 Like