Unclear how to install new theme

Tried to install the kirbycms-knowledge-base-master theme. No luck. I’ve already installed Kirby OK. How do I install this theme?

Thanks

Well, you don’t really “install” a theme. Most themes come a a ready-to-use Kirby installation, the one you are talking about, doesn’t, though.

If you have already installed the Kirby Starterkit or Plainkit, you can replace the site, assets and content folders with the folders from the theme.

Edit: Or follow the instructions in the theme’s readme…

Unless the themes readme file says other wise, I would start out with Plainkit because this has next to no default content and code to remove or replace.

The theme’s Read Me file doesn’t appear to contain installation instructions:

Kirby Knowledge Base

I needed a docs theme for Kirby and this seemed like a good place to start (a little outdated though). I’ve updated most of it to abide by modern standards.

• Modern Kirby folder structure
  • CSS re-write with flexbox and better typography
  • Using the built in search rather than the old plugin
  • Various small tweaks

To do

• Check out the treemenu template and improve where possible
  • Finish the styling + responsive! (I’ve added basic media queries & the layout uses vw so it scales pretty well by default)
  • Check out the code highlighting part/plugin and fix that
  • Fix the pre/code wrapping

Credit to the origin creator

I did what you suggested and although it did change the theme to the new one, I am now locked out of the backend since it will not accept my username and password???

I since changed back - how do I change a theme without losing backend access?

I’ve downloaded plainkit but I don’t want to use this theme until I know how to change themes/skins without losing backend access, which is what happens when I replace the site content, site, assets folders with the content, site, assets folders from the new theme…

Exactly, if you remove the /site/accounts folder, your user data will be lost and you will have to recreate it. Usually no big deal, and you won’t loose anything, you just have to create a new user, but if you have a lot of users, that might easily be annoying. You can move the accounts folder to another location to prevent accidental overwriting in the future.

But you should keep in mind that you can’t really change “themes” with Kirby like you are maybe used to from Wordpress or the like. A “theme” in Kirby is in most cases not a plugin but a collection of templates, snippets, stylesheets, content files and more, that is not usually easy to combine with other templates, snippets etc from other themes. Your content structure, naming of files and templates must all fit together.

Have you seen the Getting Started guide? Maybe that will give you a better understanding of how Kirby works.

I am not sure, but after I looked to the open Issue #11 https://github.com/christianreber/kirbycms-knowledge-base/issues/11, I guess that this theme is build for Kirby 1.

That may lead to some of your problems.

No, you are in the wrong repo, @anon77445132.

1 Like

@texnixe:

OK, sorry for my error and many thanks, I used the link in the post from @RushmerIO

HeinerEF

[Added:]
There are two profiles in site/accounts/ of this repro!

Hello there, the theme’s creator here. I’m terribly sorry for not including any installation guidelines in the readme. I’ll make sure to add some later today!

1 Like

What about to delete the two profiles in site/accounts/ of this repro?

Done! I usually add /site/accounts to the .gitignore of any Kirby installation I publish via Git, but this one must’ve slipped throuhg the cracks.