Hey @ all,
today I’m gonna spam you with a totally not Kirby related post, but a more general question – the best SEO practices.
A client recently asked me why his website doesn’t show up in Google search results, and after analyzing the existing site (only two years old and my own work) we came up with rewriting most parts of the site. Now everything is going to an end, but after reading the Kirby Kosmos #2 (read it! Really, do it! Just do it!) and inspecting http://gethead.info I was confronted with some totally new information (at least for me) – that the meta-tag
keywords isn’t recommended anymore. A quick search didn’t provide me with a reliable answer, and as there are so many other different things to be aware of, I just wanted to ask you guys what you are doing for SEO (from a developer’s perspective only).
I will just start with a quick list and my most obvious things regarding SEO (I’m by far no SEO professional/expert, more like Kreisliga ;)):
- Semantical-corrrect, well-written HTML
- Using descriptive elements (
- Headlines are structured and ordered from H1-H6
- alt-Tags for images
- If possible: image captions
- Descriptive filenames for media files
- Perfomance-optimized page (using lazyloading, caching, gzipping, all that stuff)
- Using SSL certificates
- Meta-tags (most of all correct title and
$pagedescription – I’m using the SEO plugin by @jenstornell)
- Question to all of you: are you using the keywords-tag? Does anybody of you have deeper knowledge why one should use or not use this?
Just some of the things which came to my mind – I guess you have some more things you want to share?