Panel - Show all uploaded media?

I tried out the “new” panel today for the first time. I’m a WordPress-user as well. Is there no way to view all uploaded medias in Kirby Panel? Why not? Is it a future feature?

1 Like

There isn’t any way to do this presently, nor have I heard it mentioned.

If this is a requirement for you, you could consider uploading all your assets to the “site options” page.

Click on the Menu icon on top left, then “Site Options”. You can upload all your images there, instead of within each individual page.

Alternatively, you could create an assets page and in the template run a loop that displays all images from all pages in the site index, as well as their location. You couldn’t edit them there, but you could see every image, evaluate if they need updating, and do so in the panel.

Thanks! Seems like an ok workaround in some cases. Maybe I will use some of the suggestions!

I however still think it would be awesome to be able to manage all the attachments at one place.

I agree it would be handy to see them all in one place, I just don’t know how far up something like this would fit on @bastianallgeier’s priorities.

What would be the specific use-case? For me it makes much more sense to have the files located in their pages and only there.

A specific case? Let’s say I have one image per page that need to be updated to the latest version. Instead of going to every admin page I could just update them all in one place. I can also see which images has been updated and which has not.

I think there is a reason why for example WordPress has a media library.

I must admit that I really like it the way it is, because I know what part of a page an image belongs to; and with the new site image feature, you can choose to have them all in one place as well. In fact, I don’t particularly like Wordpress’ or Joomla’s media libraries, but WP is definitely preferable over Joomla’s.

I like it the way it is too: pages with their files inside the same folder. But I can see a need to group files than can be used throughout the site.
As @texnixe wrote, we can already add global files to the site.
If we need finer granularity we can create pages as containers / categories for files, then easily retrieve them: a page for PDFs, another for videos…?

If this had to be done regularly, I’d do it the other way: a “version” blueprint and a page for every version with all the images inside it. Then in other contents, you could automatically fetch images from the latest “version”.

While I agree with both @texnixe and @Malvese about liking it the way it is… I do see the point in having it accessible both ways.

When you have a large site, for an app developer perhaps, and you have tons of pages with screens on devices, but the screens on said devices need to be updated once a month because the developers won’t stick with one UI design, it would be extremely helpful to have an overview page to more effectively search and replace images as needed. It makes it easier to not miss one or two if you overlook a page, tab, accordion with content in it.

That being said, this is low on my list of things I’d like to see @bastianallgeier integrate in the short term. :slight_smile:

Don’t take me wrong, I also like how it is. I like how images can be placed to a page or to the site.

What I was wishing for was just an addition to that, where to manage the images without clicking around on all the pages.

Images in site have no relationship to the pages

We could place the images in site to manage all of them in one place, but the downside is that they have no relation to the pages.

As I see it we have different benefits of placing the images in site or per page, but we can’t have the best of both worlds just yet.

However, I will probably do it this way

Pages with content

/products/my-product/
/products/another-product/

All the full size images. The filenames will match the product slugs (names).

/products/images-full/
/products/images-medium/
/products/images-thums/

Another advanced idea I’ve toyed with, is to build custom front end functions that mimic the replace functions in the back end. However, I just looked at the cheat sheet and I don’t see $file->replace() available and I’m not sure $file->update() can handle replacing the actual file (only the meta data from the looks of it).

Anyway, to integrate this idea I wanted to have a secret auth login not available to the public, that once logged in, showed an “Edit” button over certain content (in this case, images). If you then created a front end media page and echoed all images from all pages, they would show on one page and contain the edit button.

If anyone knows more about accessing the replace or upload function (I see $file->delete(), so you could delete/upload in sequence I guess) in panel from the front end (similar to how you have $user->create() and such, but for files), that would be the biggest part of the journey.

Just had another thought as well, that you could just link to the file’s panel location in the edit link. This would be easier to integrate (though I’m still interested in hearing if anyone has more information about accessing file management functions in the front end). Perhaps this would be an acceptable solution for you.

That sounds like a good idea!

What I don’t like

I don’t like the idea of making admin modifications directly on the frontend, because it’s very complex. Too advanced to be beneficial, I think.

What I do like

What I like about it is the idea of adding a simple “edit”-link to the frontend. Then we can simply browse the site and update the images when needed, by clicking the edit-link to go to the admin and change it.

If there are no natural archive on the page, it’s possible to simply create a new frontend template page for it.

This should only be accessable for logged in admins of course.

Thanks for the suggestion!

You haven’t spent enough time with technologically illiterate copy editors and designers. :slight_smile:

But I agree the second solution is probably ideal for your use, and sooo much simpler to integrate.

@jenstornell:
For your question, I have developed an approach some time ago.
While the panel up to now is not changed, you can add a special sitemap to your website, which may help you to have all files linked at one place.

Look at the concerning HowTo.

Nice proof of concept! Thanks!