Hey Kirby Community!
I’ve run into a weird issue the other day. I have an early K3 installation on a production server (shared hosting, worked liked a charm for I don’t know 6 months or so) where the client did some updates last Friday. (Unfortunately I don’t know what kind of updates — and the client can’t remember either, he just reached out and said “the panel ist not working anymore”).
When opening the /panel URL I get the following error message:
The panel assets cannot be installed properly. Please check permissions of your media folder.
So I tried a couple of things to get it running again (unfortunately nothing worked):
- Updating Kirby to the latest version
- Checked and updated PHP versions (to the latest 7.3 that’s available on that server)
- Found an old thread where someone found out it’s caused by a missing
composer.jsonfile and added that file (while it’s being added when updating to the latest K3 version anyway and it should be fixed according to an issue on GitHub)
- Checked folder permissions (even set it to
- Deleted the media folder (as I read somewhere it gets regenerated)
- Tracked down the error line inside
/kirby/src/cms/panel.phpand commented it out (and set
debug: true) so it resulted in the following error:
Call to undefined function Kirby\Data\json_decode()
Does anyone have any ideas on what else I could try?