Panel not working on Digital Ocean

The Panel of my website is responding with a 500 error. Initially I had problems with the URLs as well, but resolved this following this. How can I go about troubleshooting this issue. Many thanks.

Make sure you have the .htaccess file on your server and that the server supports MOD_REWRITE in Apache. The .htaccess file is by default invisible in both Mac OS and Windows, so it’s easy to forget it. You can copy the file from the Kirby starterkit on GitHub.

@victorberland thank you for replying, it’s much appreciated. The .htaccess is included and I believe I have enabled MOD_REWRITE with the command sudo a2enmod rewrite which came up ‘Module rewrite already enabled’.

Using sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/mattelmer.co.uk.conf I modified my VirtualHost file to:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin email@gmail.com
        ServerName website.co.uk
        ServerAlias www.website.co.uk
        DocumentRoot /var/www/website.co.uk/public_html

<Directory /var/www/website.co.uk/public_html>
            Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
            AllowOverride All
            Require all granted
        </Directory>

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
        CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined

<IfModule mod_dir.c>
            DirectoryIndex index.php index.pl index.cgi index.html index.xhtml $
        </IfModule>
</VirtualHost>

Still greeted with the HTTP 500 Error. Could there by anything that I have to change in the .htaccess file?

Do subpages work correctly?

Yes, subpage URLs work fine

Have you seen this post: Panel 500 Error

1 Like

Apologies, I should’ve seen that. Not installing php-mbstring was indeed the problem. Thanks for the swift reply