Kirby 2.3.0 Beta

@bastianallgeier:
With the new blueprint options we can change the template of a webpage within the panel. That is fine.
Or we can disallow the change the template, which is also very fine.

But I want to ask you, if someone disallows this change in a blueprint, to display the name of the template furthermore in the panel. In this case only delete the link to the change template form.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Kirby 2.3 beta: Thumbnails of Media objects (e.g. avatars)

Please before the release of final version 2.3.0 consider the issues and PRs of the starterkit, particular remove size option from textarea fields, use .yml field extension for blueprints #60 and Fix #42 again #56

Thanks.

Blueprint Options

Can we have this short option to turn of options all at once and hide the whole Page settings section?

options: false
2 Likes

I played around with the plugin system and registered a blueprint as described here.
Everything works fine if I add the blueprint explicitly to other blueprints like this:

pages:
  template: 
    - my_plugin_blueprint
    - some
    - other
    - blueprints

But all pages with the following setting don’t recognize my plugin blueprint …

pages: true

Is this a bug? Any ideas?

Kirby 2.3.0 Beta 2 (2016-04-29 13:50:52) on XAMPP (Apache/2.4.9 (Win32) PHP/5.4.27):

The snippet or template code

<?php echo $avatar->resize(50,50)->url(); ?>

produces the adress of the thumb

http://127.0.0.1:61080/kirby_basic/thumbs%5Cassets/avatars/username-42x50.jpg

in Firefox 46.0. Then the thumb is not visible in the webpage.

Hint:
%5C is the same as “\”, where we need “/”.

This issue is the same, if I thumb a normal picture from a page.

Something is wrong.

Thanks for reporting. This is a Windows-specific issue. I will fix this and send a PR so it will most likely be fixed in the stable release.

1 Like

Could you please help testing by manually applying the fix from this PR to your Kirby installation and checking if it works now?

1 Like

@lukasbestle:
Thanks, yes your new code is ok to me with Firefox 46.0 on windows 10.

1 Like

Fantastic. Thanks for testing.

1 Like

@bastianallgeier:

Thanks for fixing this issue:

What’s about fixing the same for the langkit too?

And its readme.md at https://github.com/getkirby/langkit says us:

##The Starterkit

Kirby’s Starterkit comes with a small demo website and a fully
configured panel. Feel free to modify it and play with it as
much as you like.

That also may be changed…

Whats about a download link for the langkit at https://getkirby.com/downloads?

That’s already been discussed here

Wow guys, I’m so really excited for this release, there’s so much great work in there, not only for my website product but also in terms of how I now will be able to improve my Guggenheim Plugin :heart_eyes:

But I have some questions, in the scope of multilingual and multi-site setups

1. Would plugins be able to ship translations (idealy even user editable translations, in conjunction with https://github.com/getkirby/kirby/issues/403 ) ? :worried:

2. Now where plugins can ship templates, blueprints etc. - would it be easy to define a theme with its plugins being “global” plugins and then define site specific plugins, for site specific customizations ?

3. Would It be easy to make an enable/disable mechanism for plugins through the Site Settings page and maybe config.php, that way sites would be able to opt-out of certain “global” plugins for example lookbook, booking, products to keep their panel clean ?

You have really done an amazing job with this one and I’m so excited to dig in on it :yum:

1 Like

@JimmyRittenborg and dont forget to think about the feature from Kirby :D, Kirby will rock the world :sunglasses:

1 Like

The problem is that disabling plugins may in fact break your site if you use functionality of a plugin in your code; not that easy to resolve. See also this discussion (and there is also yet another plugin to disable/enable plugins)

1 Like

@thesmithy and by feature you mean future right? :wink:

But yeah, I definitely think that Kirby has an solid edge over many other CMSs as Kirby is healthy weighted to care much about the developer, so that this developer can care much about its client and user, and let’s just be real here and pluralize client and user to clients and users (multi-site) as most serious and fulltime developers and designers doesn’t do just a single website for one single client - that’s where I can definitely see a really interesting edge for Kirby on so many levels.

You’re probably right - also clients doesn’t tend to create pages like these themselfs like they do for say blog articles, products, adresses etc. where the templates can be narrowed down, so although the possibility for bloat is there, the impact might actually not be that serious and noticeable.

Yes @JimmyRittenborg so sorry…

you are really right!, i never have rly hear about “Flat File” but today i know kirby is a little powerfull CMS :smiley: its really easy to create a website whit Kirby or convert a Template to Kirby :smiley:

That’s something that CMS like Drupal, WordPress and Grav do, but it comes at a price:

• Strict conventions for plugins, themes, etc., that make building a website a bit harder for code tinkerers and developers. (When you just want to do a few simple things, you have to jump through many hoops. With Kirby you can put your simple PHP code in site/templates or site/plugins directly and be done.)

• Complex configuration (stored in database or in config files), often managed in the admin panel by untrained users, with many possibilities for breakage or subpar configuration. Versus simpler configuration managed in code by developers.

Both have pros and cons, but I’m happy that Kirby is one of the few CMS that does not try to take this path (“easy” user configuration, drop-in plugins and features, etc.).

4 Likes

True, I do agree now - my initial thought behind that question was rushed and not very broad sighted, as my other first two :smile: