Internal Server Error with the panel / Kirby install on subdomain

Hello there,

So, I have installed Kirby on a subdomain, it was working before, but I had to change my server and now the panel is not working anymore (but it is working when it’s not on a subdomain…).

The website is still working with the new server, but I can’t access the panel anymore (only the login page, when I click on “login” it doesn’t work and I have the Error 500).

My server is running PHP 5.6 and the rewrite mode should be working (I checked with my provider). So I think the problem is with the subdomain / htaccess. But I really not an expert with this I have no clue what to change in the file. I tried a few things I saw around here, but it didn’t work.

Maybe one of you will have something to help?

Thanks!

My htaccess file:

# Kirby .htaccess

# rewrite rules
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

# enable awesome urls. i.e.:
# http://yourdomain.com/about-us/team
RewriteEngine on

# make sure to set the RewriteBase correctly
# if you are running the site in a subfolder.
# Otherwise links or the entire site will break.
#
# If your homepage is http://yourdomain.com/mysite
# Set the RewriteBase to:
#
# RewriteBase /mysite

# block text files in the content folder from being accessed directly
RewriteRule ^content/(.*)\.(txt|md|mdown)$ error [R=301,L]

# block all files in the site folder from being accessed directly
RewriteRule ^site/(.*) error [R=301,L]

# block all files in the kirby folder from being accessed directly
RewriteRule ^kirby/(.*) error [R=301,L]

# make panel links work
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^panel/(.*) panel/index.php [L]

# make site links work
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*) index.php [L]

</IfModule>

# Additional recommended values
# Remove comments for those you want to use.
#
# AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
#
# php_flag short_open_tag on

If all pages (including subpages) are still working and you can reach the panel login page, this sounds more like a permissions problem. What are your folder permissions (accounts folder) set to?

Oh!!? I didn’t think of that!

It’s:
User: Read / Write / Exec ;
Group: Read / Exec ;
All: Read / Exec.

That’s ok, hm, have you check out this post: I get Error 500 all the time?

Yes, thanks. Tried a bunch of stuff. Still an Error 500.
I’m waiting on another answer from my provider. :confused:

I just tried to install the Kirby starter-kit on another subdomain (same main domain) to test it and actually with this install I can’t access the panel at all, I have an error 500 when I click on “Go to the panel to give Kirby’s admin interface a try” (it’s the exact same config.). I don’t get it. So weird.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at [no address given] to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I had exactly the same problem. It turned out to be a cache problem – or at least I hadn’t had any issues since I changed my session cache from redis to filesystem.
Also I experience this with almost every fresh installation of kirby with that hosting provider. I have to manually clear the cache or wait for it to refresh to get it working.
I think – and that is purely based on observation – if your site works fine but your panel isn’t, it’s either your .htaccess or your hosting provider.

You could try to set the RewriteBase in your .htaccess just in case:

RewriteBase /

But if that was the problem, the subpages should not work either, I guess, not only the panel.

It didn’t work (cache or RewriteBase /) :eyes:

If your site sits in a subfolder you need to change your .htaccess from

# RewriteBase /mysite
to
RewriteBase /mysite (remove ‘#’)

If that doesn’t help: Could you try uploading a clean installation of kirby (kirbykit) to your subdomain?

I tried, when I remove the #, I can’t access the panel login interface at all, I have the error 500. With the # RewriteBase /mysite, I can access the login interface but I have the error 500 when I click on “login” / load the page.

I also installed the kirbykit, I can access the website and the login page, but when I click on “create your account”, boom, Internal Server Error again. :confused:

I’ve found another thread that could probably be helpful: Cant login to Panel

Thanks a lot, but still nope. I don’t get it. :confused: