Install Kirby Starter Kit on Synology DS214play are there guidelines?

Hello,
I am new here and wanted to get up and running with Kirby on my NAS…

I tried to install the starter kit on a Synology DS214play, so far not successfully.
Webserver is installed and running. PHP 5.6, 7.2, 7.4 are installed and Apache 2.2.
I tried different settings on the WEBServer like Apache 2.2 with either PHP 7.2 or 7.4.
I made PHP 7.4 as the default PHP via commandline on the NAS.
php -version replies:
PHP 7.4.9 (cli) (built: Oct 14 2020 15:04:26) ( NTS )
Copyright © The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.4.0, Copyright © Zend Technologies

I get error 500. I did read a lot in the forum and other place, so far I found no working configuration.
There is no difference if I take away the htaccess file.

Does someone have a guideline on how to get this running on this NAS?

Thanks
HDM

If you got a HTTP 500 error, there is something not working within your HTTP Server (aka internal server error). You should see something more in your server log files.

Actually your HTTP server version is completely out of date, try to upgrade to Apache 2.4

Also, you could try if your web server is delivering content at all by placing a minimal index.html file into the document root and a minimal index.php file to check for working PHP. I.e. the follwing index.php file will give you a lot of useful information about your web server/PHP combination:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Thank you for quick reply!

I tried both HTTP Apache 2.2 and 2.4, same behaviour.

With putting minimal files in place as suggested, that works.

So my guess is that something with Kirby’s settings is going somewhere wrong, but I didn’t find something.

I did php phpinfo on the cli. The response did look ok too me.

Note that php on the command line might not be the same as if it is invoked from your webserver, therefor only the output from the phpinfo command in your index.php file is important here.

The next step would be compare the output of the phpinfo which is coming from the webserver with the requirements of Kirby, i.e. the PHP modules which have to be installed.

What did the Apache logfile say about the 500 error?

The error log gives me this:
2021-03-01T19:18:57+01:00 DiskStation [Mon Mar 01 19:18:57 2021] [error] [client 192.xxx.xxx.136] SoftException in Application.cpp:299: Script “/var/services/homes/HD_Web/www/index.php” resolving to “/volume1/homes/HD_Web/www/index.php” n>
2021-03-01T19:18:57+01:00 DiskStation [Mon Mar 01 19:18:57 2021] [error] [client 192.xxx.xxx.136] Premature end of script headers: index.php
2021-03-01T19:18:57+01:00 DiskStation [Mon Mar 01 19:18:57 2021] [error] [client 192.xxx.xxx.136] File does not exist: /var/services/web/missing, referer: http://192.xxx.xxx.194/~HD_Web/index.php

So index.php also gives failure 500. I generated it twice completly new with nano. Sorry, I am not an expert so what do I wrong?

Seems that your webserver is not able to access your files. Might be about permissions. Are you able to run any other website succesfully on this server, i.e. the static index.html file which I mentioned above?

However, most probably this is not related to Kirby. You should try to get a working webserver with PHP first, and if you can successfully launch the index.php with phpinfo, you are ready for the next step.

Personal remark: From my own experience, these kind of devices, be it Synology or QNAP or anything else, usually have a completly quirky and obstructed implementation of a webserver - most probably because there are serving a kind of management interface which is also more or less quirky. To be able to serve a state of the art webserver, maybe you are better off by purchasing a low cost device like a Raspberry Pi where you can work with a standard linux server.

Thank you so much! You helped me to get one step further.

I am running several Raspberry’s here with my smart home applications, I’ll give it a try tomorrow on one of them and will report then.

Thanks for your time and have a nice evening!

Hello again and sorry it took me a while.

On the Synology DS 214 Play I got it running. Initially I got confused, because Synology offers the possibility to have Userwebsites. Unfortunately the Userwebsites only support PHP 5.6, I do not understand why Synology keeps this confusing Possibility in their toolset?!?
After figuring this out, the installation was pretty easy and it works, also with more than one site.

On the Raspberry Pi installation of PHP 7.4 and Apache2 was pretty straight forward. I struggled a while with setting up virtual hosts as I did not want to change the hosts file on every device I am using… With PiHole I found the perfect solution. It allows to set up local DNS :smile:
Additionally I have an Addblocker at the same time for all devices within my local network.

So thanks again for replying and getting me on the right track!

Thats perfect, glad you figured it out! :+1: I am using basically the same solution which enables me to just view any new website on the Pi from any device in my household without any further configuration.

In fact, the Pi-hole software contains a DNS Resolver, something which one could install separately if Pi-hole is not the favoured solution. The router in a home network usually already contains a DNS resolver as well - but without an interface to configure it.