How to use simultaenous 2 CMS on 2 different projects (kirby and wordpress)

Hello everybody ! I started to use Kirby 3 days ago, with the starterkit. I’m on Ubuntu, so I’m using Apache. But now when I want to work on an other project on Wordpress, it open a kirby page by default and I can’t access to the interface of wordpress. I realised that when I started the server on my starterkit kirby project I used the command line : php-S localhost:8080 kirby/router.php
And it’s the same port of localhost wordpress. How can I just closed my kirby’s server for finally access to wordpress ?
Does anybody use 2 CMS simultaneous ? I probably should use localhost:8081 for my kirby project at the beginning…

Close visual studio code didn’t work.
Restart my computer also didn’t close the server.
Thank you very much

If you use PHP’s built in server locally, you either have to use different port for each project or you have to stop the server in the first project to be able to start it in the second projects, sinc you cannot run two server instances on the same port at the same time.

An alternative would be to use a local development setup like Xampp, Laravel Valet etc., see Local development environment | Kirby CMS

Valet is rather straightforward to set up on Linux and once it’s running it can comfortably give access to an essentially unlimited amount of local sites, both Kirby and Wordpress (the later of course requiring a database, but you likely have that set up already).

Maybe this is of value: I wrote down my setup steps from Linux Mint last year – the setup procedure on Ubuntu should be pretty much identical:

Yes, I can confirm that setting up Valet Linux on Ubuntu is really easy and has been running without any issues for more than a year.

2 Likes

If you are using Apache webserver there is no need to start PHP’s built in server nor anything else. You just need to create a (name based) virtual host for each of your sites which is very straightforward: Apache Virtual Host documentation - Apache HTTP Server Version 2.4

Hi there, @claraloustau! Can you tell us whether you use Ubuntu Linux as your personal computer? Is that the computer you use for your web development work? Or is the Ubuntu computer a remote server where you website is going to be hosted?

I’m asking because if your personal computer is an Apple or Windows machine, we might be able to recommend some apps to make your local web development and testing a little easier…

Websites are usually held on a server computer, which runs a web server program, like Apache or Nginx. The server only needs to have one web server program installed, in order to serve as many sites as you wish. So with only 1 installation of Apache, you could have 1,000 different websites being served. It doesn’t matter whether one site is a Kirby site, another is a WordPress site, and another uses just static pages and doesn’t need PHP at all. Each site is totally independent from the other, and the web server program is able to serve them all.

In order to do that, you need to tell the web server program some info about how each site is setup - e.g., where its files are stored on the server, whether it uses PHP, etc. So each site will usually have its own ‘configuration file’, which the web server will read, to know how to serve it. Depending on which web server software you’re using - whether it’s Apache, Nginx, or something else - the configuration file for a site has to be written in a certain way, and stored in a specific place.

These web server programs are usually difficult to install and configure. They can also conflict with a lot of software in your computer, and can damage your data if not configured correctly. So most web developers don’t install these programs directly in their local, personal computer to develop websites - they don’t need to: there are many ‘easy-to-use’ development apps you can install on your computer, which will setup and configure these web server programs automatically for you, without interfering with the rest of your computer. You can have a look at programs like MAMP, XAMPP, AMPPS, and a few others: they install a self-contained, isolated version of Apache/Nginx, as well as MySQL/MariaDB, PHP, and other software you might need in order to develop and test your websites - Kirby, WordPress or otherwise - in your local machine. All of these desktop apps allow you to setup multiple sites in your local machine, with an intuitive, graphical user interface.

Then, once the site is working as you expect in your local computer, and it’s ready to go live, you just have to copy it to the remote server where it will be hosted. That remote server is probably going to be managed by a hosting company that will also provide you with a graphical interface where you can create/delete sites at will.

You can, of course, do your web development differently - there are many, many different workflows. For example, you could use apps like Vagrant which create a ‘virtual server’ inside your computer, instead of using a GUI app. You can also host your website with a company that will give you ‘bare-bones’ server, where you’re supposed to install and configure the server software yourself. But as you can imagine, all of this requires a lot more time and knowledge, and can get you into strife quite easily, if you don’t fully understand what you’re doing - so it’s usually more prudent to start with the ‘easy’ way, and then as you gain knowledge and experience with other tools, experiment with different ways of developing.

I hope this information helps!

2 Likes

Ok thank you a lot ! I discovered that in my etc/apache2/sites-availables I had one kirby.conf and one wordpress.conf, so I guess that’s why my server was blocked on Kirby, and then blocked on wordpress, I probably made something wrong during installations.

I removed this two files and now I have no problem from a CMS to an other

So thank you a lot for your help !