Error "cannot decode raw data"

I’m building a site starting from the starter kit, and I’ve run into a problem trying to run it locally during construction using WorldWideWeb as web server (the Iconfactory app, not the other thing): Safari shows “cannot decode raw data” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1015), or as Firefox puts it: invalid or unknown form of compression.

To corner the problem:

• I’ve tried MAMP: no problem there.
  • I’ve unpacked both the starter kit and the plain kit and opened both in the browser: the plain kit works, the starter kit shows the same error.

Never heard of this before. Looks like you can only use it as a reverse proxy when dealing with PHP websites. So you would need another server on your machine and seemingly the pro version of this app.

That’s correct; it took me a while (and help from the Iconfactory) to get it running.

But what causes the error? After all, the plain kit works in this setup, while the starter kit doesn’t.

I don’t know. This is not a setting that I can test. And you wrote you have no issues with MAMP.

I’m not sure if I’m breaking something else now, but I looked into the preconfigured .htaccess and since the error mentioned something about compression, I removed the lines

# compress text file responses
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/javascript
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/json
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript
</IfModule>

Guess what – it works!

Interesting…