404 on /panel page for setup

I’ll also add another solution (a little silly) to this post, since I was stumped for a while…

I thought I was updating my .htaccess file by dragging and dropping it into my FTP program, but it wasn’t updating. I found this out by, in my FTP program, by turning on “show invisible files”. Then I edited the .htaccess file directly within my FTP program. After saving, it worked.

And for the record, webhostingpad.com by default always has “AllowOverride” set to “All”, so there should be no need to edit it (because you can’t).

Hi,

I’m new to Kirby and I’m trying to install it.

I have the same problem and I can’t find a solution.

I keep getting the 404 error and I don’t know if I need to change some code or install stuff on the server.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum, you are posting in an old thread regarding Kirby 2, but I assume you are trying to install the current version of Kirby.

Could you please provide more information about your environment? Are you installing Kirby locally or on a remote server?

What is your PHP version?

Are you installing the Starterkit? If so, do you only get a 404 on /panel or also on subpages?

Have you deployed the .htaccess file?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I’m using the latest version of Kirby I download the Starterkit.

I update the PHP to the 8.2 version so the latest as far as I know and I work on a remote Linux server.

I get 404 everywhere except on the homepage.

How/where can I deploy the .htaccess file? Sorry I’m new to this.

The .htaccess file comes with the Starterkit. Since it starts with a dot, it is usually a hidden file in the file system, and you might have missed it. You have to deploy it on the server along with the other files, i.e. next to the index.php etc.

On a Mac, you can make them visible with CMD + Shift + .

Super! I managed to do it. I had not idea there were 3 hidden files.

I also had to add

return [ 'panel' =>[ 'install' => true ] ];

to the config.php to allow a remote server but now I managed to register.

Thanks!