Volume license pricing

Hello,

I wonder how your volume licensing works?
I have bought several licenses over the years for kirby, but often 1 (or max 2) at a time.

Do you incorporate “legacy purchases” some way? And if so, how?
If not, can this be done in some way? And how?

Imho volume pricing is an awesome idea for rewarding loyal developers/companies, but then it has to be implemented better so all “legacy licenses” are included in the pricing when buying a new license.

What are your thoughts about this? — Thanks.

The volume discount is applied if you buy several licenses at once, not over the course of some years. However, I’ve invited @bastianallgeier to this thread.

1 Like

Thanks @texnixe.

I got that :slight_smile:

I wondered if there really are people/developers/companies who volume-buy licenses to put them on the shelf until necessary. In case of a major Kirby update you’ld have to purchase updates for every single one of those as well then when you’ld want to start using them?
In this case the profit would immediately been down the drain.

Let’s hear @bastianallgeier 's input on this first :slight_smile:

Make the client explicitly pay for the license.
That’s why we seldomly buy in volume, for the client it’s a small amount anyway (in comparison to the whole quotation). Reducing the clients cost by 50 bucks on a 3000-5000 website isn’t worth the trouble and the dent in your cashflow.

It’s not possible for us to provide volume licensing over time. Fastspring doesn’t support registered users, so our shop can’t really handle multiple purchases over time.

@bvdputte we didn’t really have that case yet, because the upgrade from Kirby 1 to 2 was free, but if a client really purchases a lot of licenses at once and supports us that way, I’m sure we will also find a good solution to upgrade those licenses without too much pain.

You deside your license and I like how it is today. Here is my take on it:

I like this license: ACF PRO

Lifetime updates for 1 Site
1 time payment

It’s almost like how Kirby license is now and has been, because Kirby 2 was a free upgrade. Lifetime, who knows?

I like it because:

• I can buy it and then it’s mine all the time.
  • I can buffer buy like I buy like 5 licenses directly because I know I will start using them in the future.
  • I don’t have to wait for the next major version before I buy. I can buy it directly.

Pitfalls with upgrade fees

Sublime Text case

I was about to buy Sublime Text 2, when I saw this:

Licenses purchased for Sublime Text 2 do not expire, however an upgrade fee will be required for Sublime Text 3.

That was a few years ago I think. Sublime Text 3 is still in beta and I’ve still not bought it. Now it says:

Licenses purchased for Sublime Text 3 do not expire, however an upgrade fee will be required for Sublime Text 4.

Alright, I’ll just wait for Sublime Text 4 then (or Sublime Text 5 or forever)… :wink:

Kirby case

https://getkirby.com/blog/free-upgrade

It seems like you are already aware of this problem.

Never tell people about an upcoming major release of your software,
if you still want to sell your current version.

…and…

I didn’t write about the upgrade modalities of Kirby 2 for existing Kirby users,
so sales went down massively – actually close to zero.

I just got an image of a possible future in my mind:

A whole lot of users are just sitting there… waiting… No one is buying anything, but they are ready, they are prepared. Kirby 3 is released! About 50% of the users is buying it directly. The rest are still sitting there, waiting… for what the future holds…

Worst case

In a worst case scenario for user would probably be that the development speed increases and that there will be a new major version each year. I only have like 5 licenses but to pay for them yearly would have a big impact on a small one-man company like mine (about 445 dollar each year).

When I can’t afford running Kirby it’s only natural to start looking for alternatives. :confused:

But that’s the worst case scenario and I hope that this day will never come and I really hope you get enough money out of the current license as well. I know my 5 licenses might not help very much, but I hope you get many developer companies who has clients. There is the real income I think. :slight_smile:

A good thing about you is that you almost always take the correct decisions. I’m sure you will take the right one when that day comes as well. :slight_smile: