Questions about permissions

I don’t have much need for the permission feature, because I don’t have clients, but I still have some questions about it.

@bastianallgeier @lukasbestle @texnixe

1. As a plugin developer, do I need to know anything about permissions? I mean if I don’t add permission support, will it work for all users as default, just as it does today? No breaking feature for plugins?
  2. It feels like a big feature that is nested into the core. I’m worried that it adds much code in the way for you developers, which makes it harder to read and therefor add new features in the future to Kirby or the Panel. True or false?
  3. It took a long time to figure out how it should work, what was the problems to solve?
  4. Do you feel like this feature is complete or is it a feature that you feel will constantly needs to be updated?
  5. Do you expect Kirby 2.5 to be about permissions as a continuation of 2.4, or did you nail it good enough and want to move on to new exciting stuff?

First of all, permissions are an optional feature you can use, but you don’t have to use it, of course. Everything will continue to work as is and you don’t have to do anything if you don’t need the feature.

1. I don’t think it will break anything. Permission work event based, so permissions will automatically be checked in the Panel whenever an event is triggered, even by your Panel plugins. In the frontend, you have to check permissions yourself, of course. That might also affect plugins, e.g. something like a comments plugin where users are allowed to add comments based on user roles’ permissions in addition to just user roles.

2. It’s not so much a question of whether is needs to be updated constantly. As I see it, we now have a solid base that can be enhanced in the future.

1 Like