Panel error after upload

hello, I’m getting the following error after uploading my kirby install.

Whoops\Exception\ErrorException thrown with message “Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_6d63165106bc5b561ae766a53eef594a, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2)”

Stacktrace:
#1 Whoops\Exception\ErrorException in Unknown:0
#0 Whoops\Run:handleError in [internal]:0

Hm, sounds like some sort of server configuration problem with the session save path, maybe the session save path. Could you disable Whoops for a moment, to see what sort of error message you get? What’s in your PHP ini regarding the session.save_path?

If suspected a host issue. This is some foreign host service. I disabled whoops. See screen shot below.

I created a php info page (temporarily) to see what’s enabled in php http://directassociates.com/phpinfo.php

for what it’s worth… i was logged into my local install, then uploaded everything to the remote server, then tried to access the panel on the remote install (and got that error). Maybe it’s confused because i was logged into the panel on my local install?

Hm, I’m not really that much into server stuff, but I don’t think so, it’s rather that the session file or path does not exist or is not writable.

PHPinfo says: session.save_path /var/php_sessions

Does this path exist on the server?

Also, your PHP is quite old (5.5) PHP 7 is recommended for the current release of Kirby.

Is your local server the same setup as your live box?

Yeah… This is one of those projects where the client has loyalty to some dude that offers hosting and it’s ancient. I requests a PHP 7 upgrade. It also seems to be clear that the session.save_path is not correct. One of the other pages on the site offered a more specific error message (below).

Warning: session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_6d63165106bc5b561ae766a53eef594a, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosnaweb03b/b2816/ipw.directas/public_html/kirby/vendor/getkirby/toolkit/lib/s.php on line 55 Warning: Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_6d63165106bc5b561ae766a53eef594a, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/php_sessions) in Unknown on line 0

I think this can only be fixed my changing php.ini which you may not have access to if it shared style hosting. /var/php_sessions/ seems to be the usual location according to Google.

You can potentially override it on a per site basis, but you do need to restart the Apache for it kick in. Doing that on a shared box might not make you popular.

It’s usually possible even on shared hosting to use your own php.ini file. If in doubt, contact the provider. If they allow editing php.ini files, they will have some mechanism running so that the new settings are picked up.

The reason for the current issue is not the ancient PHP version, although for security and performance reasons it would be better to update.

Thanks for your time @jimbobrjames and @texnixe. I just talked to the host contact. His exact words were, “I’ve only accessed the server via FTP”. Awesome. This may take a spell or two to resolve.

Ah yes, that sounds like fun.

The site is hosted by a company called iPage, which seem to have a bad rep.

Its seems your not the only one to run into this issue…, good luck.

Probably not the direct cause, but im thinking the upgrade will probably replace the PHP config files and reinstate usual working paths.

Thanks for checkin’ in.

The session.save_path was set to its default which wasn’t the issue. The permission were set as they need to be.

I updated the PHP version for performance and security reasons. I got on the line with support and in the end they enabled buffering. That resolved the issue.

I’ll chalk it up to a poor hosting. This is why I pretty much require all client project to use my host.

Hello there.

I’m getting a similar error after having uploaded a site to 123reg (them being fairly reputable makes me question wether it’s being caused by the same problem).

Unknown: open(/home/cluster-sites/6/h/hunt-communications.com/tmp//sess_t2ogabp31j29dpjsgu5v2rgqt0, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2)

What would be the best means to seek a solution (I’m a little out of my depth with sever issues! Any help much appreciated)

Cheers.

Screen%20Shot%202018-07-25