New 404 Not Found errors on every subpage / no changes made / Kirby 2

I’ve been running a Kirby 2 site for several years. It’s worked very well. Suddenly, without any notice or making any changes for some time, everything but the homepage is returning 404 Not Found. Subpages, panel (panel/login), everything.

My live server is running PHP Version 7.3.33 (The same issues appear on my local server, running PHP 8).

The site has been updated to the final version of Kirby 2, with no change. I’ve run through all the suggestions I can find in the forums (htaccess, mbstring enabled etc) but as noted I haven’t changed anything.

Any help gratefully received / at my wit’s end…

If the home page works, but no other pages, that means that URL rewriting is not enabled. Looks like you have already checked if the .htaccess file is present, but have you checked if .htaccess overwrites are enabled?

I assume the your hosting company made some changes, e.g update PHP.

Kirby 2 is not compatible with PHP 8.

I contacted my host, and they created the following .htaccess file in the root, which seems to have solved the problem. I’m not sure why it changed, or how this helped, but leaving it here in case anyone else faces a similar problem. (Thanks very much for your attention @texnixe).

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>