My markdown txt file caused a 500 (internal server error)

hi, I spent most of last night - till around 4am - trying to find the cause of:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)

I finally tracked it down to the txt markdown file where I had the following line:

itemtitle: Healing With Reiki When Doctors Could Not Cure: Vered's Story

It was the 2nd colon - “Not Cure:” - that was causing the server error

So my question is which characters are reserved for markdown and how do I qualify these characters if I want to use them in text?

Thanks
David

Where did that happen, in a structure field?

Yes, I believe it is a structure field

It’s not really a markdown issue, but yaml related. You can avoid this if you use a HTML entity representation of the colon.

ok, so are we just talking about colons or other yaml special characters?

The colons are a problem in the yaml context; but they are only a problem in structure fields, not normal fields.

Markdown itself has some characters that need to be escaped, you can find a list of backslash escapes here: https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#backslash

You also have to replace parenthesis within Kirbytags with HTML entities. Escaping is not possible in this context.

1 Like

Ok Thanks Sonja, Just to be clear, are the txt files considered yaml files, I’m trying to work without blueprints, so does all this apply to the txt files?

As I said above, the colons are a problem in structure fields.

The rest applies to markdown and Kirbytext in content files in general, for characters used in Markdown and Kirbytext to style content.

I had issues with those as well, and I found that using following in structures work:

key: value
anotherkey: |
  This is now escaped due to the pipe and you should be able to use colons : in here...