Multi-part posts, or "part of a series"?

Hey Kirby peoples,

First question I’ve posted here, though I’m a long-term Kirby user and forum lurker.

For a site I’m working on, I’d like to be able to have multi-part blog posts where each part is published separately (potentially months apart), but is linked to the other parts at the top of the article template in a way similar to numerical pagination of a collection. The idea is that some users will be publishing a novel, one chapter at a time, and so it will need to be fairly easy for the author to do it from the panel.

Not all the articles on the site will be like this, most won’t even. Any ideas how I could implement it? I’ve hit a bit of a roadblock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :grinning:

You could use a page field to connect the different parts, while each part is a separate page. If you want to have all parts linked on every page, you need to wrap this into a structure field.

Or you could use tags. In this case, editors have to make sure to use the same tag for every part.

Edit: A third option would be to create a blogpost and the different parts are children of this post. You could automatically redirect to the first child (if exists) and re-ordering etc. would be very easy for editors. No need to manually link parts or any tag hassle. I think I would go for this.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer!

I’d already toyed with your first two suggestions myself, but wasn’t happy with them as it added too much complexity to the panel.

The subpages idea seems like a good solution though. I might play with that when I get home from work tonight, see how it goes.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Awesome, this worked perfectly. Only thing that took a bit of work was changing my foreach loops to use index() instead of children() to pick up the new grandchildren pages.

Edit: if you wish to take a look at the result, here it is :slight_smile:

Edit #2: The site is still very much a work in progress haha. Please be kind

1 Like