Making Starterkit more mobile friendly?

Yes, maybe that’s why I keep installing the “wrong” version. :wink:

Maybe even add a link to Kirby on Github.

As far as I know, the PlainKit can only be downloaded from GitHub, not via a download link. Maybe the StarterKit, LangKit, and PlainKit should in fact all three be downloadable from the Download Page, although the reasoning behind that is probably, that the StarterKit is the best version for getting started while the Plainkit is rather intended for advanced users.

Just make it really clear what’s recommended and I’ll think it would be even better than today.

[Download StarterKit]

Alternatives:
  • LangKit
  • PlainKit
1 Like

Hi Lukas,
I understand that mobile approach sometime needs to omit elements but that’s not really my point. What I mean is the following : the starter kit shows up a hoover menu on “projects”. Well, this is a feature provided by some CSS implementation. It is not a demonstration of Kirby’s API, nor especially useful on desktop browsing. (you can reach each projects page without that hoover sub-menu).
My point is it’s a bit incoherent to actually provide the code to show up a hoovering sub-menu on desktop and no equivalent feature on mobile. (hamburger, button to trigger a sub-menu or anything).

The philosophy of Kirby includes not to force you to a certain HTML/CSS naming scheme.

Okay, but kirby already provide a CSS implementation for a hovering menu. My point is, you might choose either not to provide a CSS sub-menu at all OR choose to implement one for every device… Here I feel like we have a half situation.

But that’s only my way to see it.

Don’t agree. On my Android phone in paysage mode, when tapping “projects” the project’s sub-menu shows up for a short amount of time and doesn’t let you choose an option, which isn’t expected. So there IS a menu implementation (choices have been made), but even if it’s doesn’t prevent the website to work, it doesn’t work so well.

Anyway, we don’t really need to discuss the downsides of the old Starterkit anymore as there will be a new version soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well we could also think the exact opposite : it might be the best instant ever to raise those downsides.
And my point is : the hoover submenu kind of shows up but doesn’t work propertly on my Android phone. My position is then, the devs have to choose between provide all the responsive/mobile -even basic- stuff in the scope of what Kirby can do, or just provide nothing (not a rude comment, just a thought).

Thank you for your feedback. We have heard it and this won’t be an issue anymore in the new starterkit. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Lukas,
Thank you for your commitment and kindness. Cheers

1 Like

You are welcome. :slight_smile:

Hey everyone,

as most of you might know, I’m currently working on the new Starterkit. Thanks for all your suggestions regarding the StarterKit so far, it is a great source of ideas, what to include.There are so many decisions involved into creating something like this and like I mentioned earlier, it is important for us, not to force you into a certain style of how to code your frontend.

Once it is finished, I will definitely write a post, explaining the decisions we made in detail. Like other team members said before, it is not possible to include everything, you wish for. But as I’m currently working on the CSS, I can tell you that I’m trying my best to keep it readable, short and and easy to understand. Same goes for HTML and PHP code. Although it is not meant to be a ready-to-use theme, I think it is still important to create it in a way, which makes it also usable as a boilerplate for your next project, if you don’t want to start from scratch. :slight_smile:

Cheers
Fabian

8 Likes

Sounds good to me! Can’t wait to see it! :smile:

1 Like