Kirby on Azure WebApps

I got the request to implement the infrastructure to deploy Kirby.

Is it possible to run it on Azure PaaS service ‘Azure WebApp’?
Do you need to manage the operating system?

Hello @bask00,

welcome to the community!

I think if you tell us what the Azure WebApp service provides, we can tell you if it’s supported/what is missing. I’m unaware to what it offers and it seems to be not so easy to understand without reading lot of information (like with any of those Azure services . . .).

The information I ask for will make an answer to this possible.

For specific details about the requirements of Kirby 3, check this link:

Best Regards,

Hi @warg.

Azure WebApps provide you with the infrastructure needed to run code. In this case, I can create a Linux WebApp with PHP 7.2 as runtime stack and Apache (it’s the default web server).

With WebApps you don’t have control of Operative System. You just upload the code by FTPS. Would Kirby require any ‘OS tweaking’ or optimization? Or I just can download the installer and drop it using FTPS and that’s all? (the configure part it’s made by browser?)

Thanks!!!

No, on shared hosting you don’t have access to the OS either, so as long as the requirements are met and you can write to disk, it’s no problem. There are other services like heroku where you can’t use the Panel, for example. But if I get it right, is also supports WP and other CMS, so Kirby shouldn’t be a problem.

Thanks for clarifcation!

Kirby 3’s configuration is done via a config.php file and the creation of the admin account is done via the web panel (just called panel).

SFTP is fine; keep in mind that you can change one or two things but that’s mostly PHP and PHP-module/libraries related so if you can tweak your php.ini or add/disable PHP modules, it’s totally fine. It’s also no requirement to use the panel itself. In a lot of projects, you don’t even need those changes so it’s fitting to many (shared) host setups.

Best Regards,

What’s the reason for this?

Thanks!! I’m new on this and never experienced shared hosting, but it makes sense.

Thanks a lot.

Because you can’t write to disk. You can just deploy the app (at least I think it was Heroku). Fine if you have a staging server where you edit content and then deploy via Git etc.

Thank you so much for the quick support.

1 Like

I think you are right, just checked it out and found this:

These two facts mean that the filesystem on Heroku is not suitable for persistent storage of data. In cases where you need to store data we recommend using a database addon such as Postgres (for data) or a dedicated file storage service such as AWS S3 (for static files). If you don’t want to set up an account with AWS to create an S3 bucket we also have addons here that handle storage and processing of static assets https://elements.heroku.com/addons
(source: https://help.heroku.com/K1PPS2WM/why-are-my-file-uploads-missing-deleted, 26.07.2019)

I think with a changed Kirby 3 configuration it’s possible, like to use a PostgreSQL database like mentioned there?

@bask00 To be on the safe side, deploy the Starterkit to the service for a quick test. It has all you need.

1 Like

Yes, but that is not the typical Kirby use case.

Edit: There are a lot of people who still use Kirby without the Panel, including the Kirby Team for the getkirby.com website. We simply write using a text editor, push to GitHub and from there, all updates are automatically deployed. So when we make any changes, they are instantly published.

1 Like