Kirby 3 code editor plugin

Hello,
Is there a way to have a textarea as a code editor that keep the code formatting?
Thank you!

If you use three backticks before and after your code blocks, it will keep the formattingā€¦

1 Like

For fields that only contain code, check out the monospace property: https://getkirby.com/docs/reference/panel/fields/textarea#monospace

If you add language highlighting, you can pass the language after the opening backticksā€¦

```php
    /// some code
    ```

Thank you @texnixe! I was looking for something like this but for Kirby 3:

Still looking for an alternative! If you have suggestions, please let me know! :slight_smile:

The editor has a code block: https://github.com/getkirby/editor/

I just had a look and tried it but actually I was looking for a different thing.

At the moment Iā€™m using a simple textarea (without any button) to add custom code in my page trough the panel but an editor like the one I linked in my previous answer would be useful! I donā€™t need to show the codeā€¦ instead it will be rendered as HTML or CSS (for simple page related CSS customisations).

The textarea doesnā€™t have any colors, code formatting etcā€¦

Anyway this new kirby editor you just suggested me is beautiful, I saw I can add the code block and then render it as HTML using a custom snippet but the editor is the same like having a textareaā€¦ so no colors, no formatting etcā€¦

I agree that code highlighting would be a nice to have (as a plugin). I guess the reason I donā€™t really miss it personally is because for the getkirby.com documentation we donā€™t use the Panel but edit the text files manually.

Having said that, Iā€™m not aware of any plugin that supports Panel syntax highlighting. Maybe if there is a need you can develop something with the community?

The Markdown field is based on CodeMirror which offers editing and syntax highlighting capabilities. Maybe it can be used as a base for such plugin:

Thatā€™s interestingā€¦ I know php but not as well as a developerā€¦every time I tried to understand the dynamic of kirbyā€™s plugin engine I crashed my head on the wall! :sweat_smile:

meanwhile I give it a try, I will ask to sylvainjule if he has some interest on adding this pluginā€¦ Thank you!

1 Like

A couple of months ago the fabulous @sylvainjule published this code-editor plugin.

(Found this thread googling it, so now itā€™s mentioned here for others who are in search of one)
Thanks Sylvain :pray:t3:

Regarding markdown - is it possible to use html markdown? For example when user clicks on B (bold) button, then text is wrapped in <bold>some text</bold> tags?

Currently if all data is passed as API to some other frontend (React), then those **some text** markdowns are uselessā€¦

p.s. figured it out, created custom textarea buttons which inserts and