How to handle multiple users with multiple restrictions

Hey there,

a client of mine has this huge old typo3 page. (typo3 is the hell, I swear). I mentioned this project earlier here.
But now the next question with the project:

There are over 30 accounts and each account has different restrictions on the current site. For example: Account A is able to create news and events but is not able to delete news and events from Account B.

The roles for each account are the same but every account has it’s own news and it’s own events. How can I do this the best way?

For another client I used a method which I found here as well. But I think this method is not useful for this amount of accounts.

Hm, 30 accounts all with different restrictions sounds like a bit of a pain.

The “different blueprints” per role approach doesn’t really sound like a good idea for this.

Another approach would be page models in combination with before hooks, but that still isn’t ideal.

I’m not sure in what way route:before hooks can be useful here to intercept API routes based on user.

With the current state of permissions in Kirby 3, this is not so easy to achieve, I think.

and is there something like only the author of a post can edit his own post and not posts by other authors?

If it’s just about editing, not hiding it away, then you could achieve it with an update:before hook in combination with an author’s field where the original poster is stored. The downside is that the hook will only kick when the user tries to save the post.

If you combine that with page models that filter the posts a user can see (as mentioned above), you’d be one step further. I think you have to play around yourself a bit to try and push the limits here.

But if that is feasible for what you’re planning to create, I don’t know.

@texnixe do you know “Custom user/users models” in Kirby 3.2.0 which is mentioned here: https://www.notion.so/Kirby-3-Roadmap-a2e5ecc7cf7842208e6fcad30a6d0b92, would fix this?

I don’t think custom user methods will really solve this. This would have to happen on the blueprint level, I think. Personally, I’d love to see something like this:

options:
  read:
    - admin
    - editor
  changeSlug:
    - admin
  update:
    - admin
    - editor

Or something like this.

We will hopefully see a first implementation in 3.2, at least I asked the team to consider this given the many users who are currently asking for this feature.

Edit:

This probably wouldn’t solve your use case, though, with users only being able to edit their own content.

1 Like

This would be very handy. Also I would love to see something like this:

options:
  read:
    - admin
    - editor
  changeSlug:
    - admin
  update:
    - owner
    - admin
    - editor

Just on a side note, this just doesn’t work, because the hooks only kick in after page reload.