How does the Staticache plugin work with images?

Hey everyone,

I’m looking into using the Staticache plugin for a site and had a question I was unsure about: How does Staticache handle images?

If I use thumb from Kirby or I offload the creation of images to a CDN (say using an optimizer where it creates the thumbs), what happens? Can the images still get created? Do they get created once before getting cached?

Thanks!

File are unaffected by the plugin and will still be created, as they are created on the fly when the url for a file is called.

You can easily test this yourself. Let Kirby create the cache for a page, then delete the media folder and see how the file are recreated.

Huge thanks @texnixe! I appreciate the help and quick reply.

This might be worth adding to the Staticache plugin readme. Maybe the processing order is common knowledge for folks familiar with Kirby, but I didn’t see anything about it in all the documentation I read.

No, I don’t think it belongs there, because the Staticache plugin extends the standard file cache and the behavior is the same, no matter what cache type is used.

IMO, this is rather something to describe a bit more explicitly in the file version documentation (aka file thumbnail documentation).

That makes sense. I read that page as well as I was trying to understand all the media stuff.