Error - 'Could not create temporary thumbnail'

A domain I was using expired so I wanted to move the site to a new domain. In order to do this did the following:

1. rsync’ed the files from my local copy of the site excluding thumbs and content.
  2. ran mkdir -p thumbs to create the thumbs file
  3. ran cp -a /var/www/expired-site/public_html/content/. /var/www/new-site/public_html/content

I’m now received the error

Could not create temporary thumbnail for /var/www/new-site/public_html/content/1-projects/1-images-1/20170925.jpg. Please check your thumb configuration.

What is the problem here and how can I go about fixing it? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Looks like a permissions issue. Did you rsync using the correct username?

I don’t know what happens if you set a thumb driver that isn’t installed. Have you set it to use GD or IM, rather then the default driver? I guess you would get that error if it tried to use IM to make the thumb but it couldn’t locate the IM installation on your server.

My hunch is its really a permissions issue preventing the thumbnail from being written. I take this domain has the same configuration as the old one (allowed memory, allowed file sizes)?

Try deleting the contents of your thumbs folder (leave the index.html file there). Since you moved files & folders It might be that they have different user:group and and the new site cant update the images that exist already.

Also, check the permissions (user:group) on the thumb and content folders themselves.

GD is the default driver, if you set the driver to imand that isn’t installed, you don’t get an error message, just no thumbs.

I’d also assume this is a permission issue.

Ahhh I thought SimpleImage was something standalone/integrated into kirby, with IM and GD being optional. Thanks for clarifying.

It was indeed a permissions error, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I ran the command sudo chown -R www-data /var/www/new-site/public_html and all is resolved for now.