Editing Photo Meta in the /panel

Heyo,

So at this point I’ve built six Kirby-powered websites, and it’s all gone pretty well, but at this point the next project I want to tackle is a relaunch of a site for my daughter that is, almost entirely, a bunch of photos with tags. I was originally using Picasa Web Integration, but Google eventually shut that system down so that site is broken.

But, what I’d like to do here is to be able to add a new image to the site (to exist alongside several hundred others), and be able to give that specific image a timstamp, list of tags, and maybe description or location information.

I could handle this approach by making a page for every photo, but that seems like overkill, and I could solve this by manually uploading a .yaml file for each photo, but that seems laborious, and missing some autocomplete that would be helpful otherwise.

So, I’m wondering if anyone has an idea of how I could, for example, allow the Files view in panel to include some custom blueprints I provide, to help me get this thing off the ground.

I’d also considered trying out a CMS that was built specifically for a photo gallery, but the two I’ve tried so far (Piwigo and Copperplate) felt bulky and not really how I intended to approach this.

Maybe I get this completely wrong, but you do have the possibility in the Panel to add meta data to files, see the docs:

The fields you need are defined in the blueprint file settings:

https://getkirby.com/docs/panel/blueprints/file-settings

https://getkirby.com/docs/content/media#adding-meta-data-to-your-files

I guess what I was more thinking about was something that would build, for example, lake.jpg.txt. So each image I upload, I’d have a couple of custom content fields assigned to them, which I could fill in.

If this is possible, without needing to manually create a .txt file each time, I haven’t figured it out yet.

But that’s exactly what you can do in the panel, you define the fields in the page blueprint, then you fill in the fields in the panel. The text file is created automatically.

Blueprint:

title: Project
pages: false
files:
  sortable: true
  fields:
    caption:
      label: Caption
      type: text
    tags:
      label: tags
      type: tags
    date:
      label: Date
      type: date
fields:
  title:
    label: Title
    type:  text
  year:
    label: Year
    type:  text
  text:
    label: Text
    type:  textarea
  tags:
    label: Tags
    type:  tags
  myimage:
    label: Cover Image
    type: image
    options: query
    query:
      page: projects
      fetch: images
1 Like

Oh crap! I misunderstood. Trying that now, thank you.