Custom file fields in left-side panel?

Hi,
When I design a page, I sometimes have multiple files associated to it and Iā€™d love it if we could have custom fields in the panel to define those files.
For example, a ā€˜projectā€™ page could have :

• a banner image
  • a logo image
  • a team image
  • a carousel with project images
  • a downloadable PDF

At the moment, I play around with the order (and type) of the files to show the right one at the right place, but it would be (way) more convenient to have a field called ā€˜project logoā€™ for exampleā€¦

Just an ideaā€¦
Thanks

I must admit that I donā€™t really understand what you want to achieve. You could easily define those fields in your blueprints and select the corresponding images? Of course that would not be on the left side ā€¦

Did you have a look at kirby-selector already? Sounds like it could be the way to go for you.

I think the idea is to have different ā€œbucketsā€ in the sidebar, where user would upload files, instead of a single one with a mess of files.

kirby-selector is a way to achieve this, but I think it fills a different need, and it requires more actions: first upload the files, then choose them in the field. Another problem is that the selector doesnā€™t know the purpose of files. You can filter by type, but is that image a banner, logo, or team image? The user has to know and use only the appropriate images, and can make mistakes.

On the other hand if we could upload to different ā€œbucketsā€ a user would just need to upload in the right one. Benefits:

• no need to select files manually ;
  • shorter page form, because you donā€™t need kirby-selector or any other file field ;
  • the file list would be easier to read.

I use the word ā€œbucketā€ but it could just be a tag added to files, and the ability to list files by that tag. Does it make sense?

1 Like

To make this information usable in the templates, this meta information needs to find itā€™s way into either the fileā€™s meta data or into the main content files.

Yes files metadata is a good place for that. What I have in mind is really a Panel thing, it could be a new blueprint option to display files in a different way, based on tags or the value of a select:

files:
  fields:
    mysortingfield:
      label: Purpose
      type: select
        options:
          team: Team pictures
          hero: Hero images
          product: Product views
  groupby: mysortingfield
ā€¦

Visually the result would be pretty much like OS Xā€™s ā€œArrange by Tagsā€ view:

1 Like

It seems like there are very many ideas of how to use the sidebar. I have a few myself but others might not need what I need.

Hookable sidebar instead

I think it would be great if the sidebar would be hookable by plugins. Then we would have the power to customize it to our own needs. It would also keep Kirby lightweight and let ā€œKirby crewā€ work on the core stuff, instead of the ā€œalmost pluginā€ stuff.

1 Like

Yes, @Malvese, Iā€™d love to have multiple buckets.
@DieserJonas, Kirby-selector looks pretty cool. I doesnā€™t seem very logic to have two actions instead of one, though. But I think itā€™s what Iā€™ll use for nowā€¦
I just made a quick render of what the ā€˜multiple bucketsā€™ could look like :

2 Likes