Class "IntlDateFormatter" not found debug error on staging, but locally all is fine

Hi,

I’m working on a multilingual site. I use the IntlDateFormatter class to show dates in those languages.

config.php:

return [
  'languages' => true,
  'date.handler' => 'intl'
]

language file (nl.php):

return [
  'code' => 'nl',
  'default' => true,
  'direction' => 'ltr',
  'locale' => [
    'LC_ALL' => 'nl_NL'
  ]

snippet ():

foreach ($structure->filter(fn($entry) => $entry->playdate()->toDate() > time())->sortBy('playdate', 'asc') as $entry):
<span class="date"><?= $entry->playdate()->toDate('EEEE d MMMM – H:mm') ?></span>

Locally all works fine. But after uploading to the staging server I get the “Class “IntlDateFormatter” not found” error.

Looks like IntlDateFormatter::formatObject() should not be called statically it should be a server problem but in the Direct Admin PHP option page the “intl” option is checked…
For good measure: I’m currently working in a staging subdomain which is PHP 8.2, but the live site is still running on PHP 7.4, so I deal with the PHP version in the .htaccess file.

Can I insert some date definition in the htaccess file to force intl? Or do I need to create a fallback like Problem translating month names - #5 by rasteiner?

According to the docs it should not be complicated :slight_smile:

The question is if the intl extension is really enabled, I would check phpinfo() rather than relying on the admin console.

Good catch. When checking this is what’s stated in the phpinfo under Configure Command:

... '--disable-intl' ...

Does this mean it’s indeed disabled?

Not sure, but if it is installed, it should appear in the list below

I forgot to scroll down :man_facepalming: but searching on “intl” only gave me this one hit…

There’s a “date” section which says

date/time support 	enabled
Timezone Database 	internal
Default timezone 	Europe/Amsterdam
date.default_latitude	31.7667	31.7667
date.default_longitude	35.2333	35.2333
date.sunrise_zenith	90.833333	90.833333
date.sunset_zenith	90.833333	90.833333
date.timezone	Europe/Amsterdam	Europe/Amsterdam

… but that’s about it.

Tomorrow I’ll call those srever guys for help. Thanks @pixelijn

Short follow-up to conclude and maybe helpful for others. On the shared hosting platform there can be one domain and multiple subdomains. Changing the PHP version is forced upon the domain and all subdomains. Using different PHP versions can be done by an instruction on the .htaccess file of certain subdomain. But all the options set on the main PHP version of the domain don’t trickle down. So intl wasn’t set on the PHP version in the subdomain.

Solution was to include a PHP version in the .htaccess file of the domain and bump the overall PHP version with needed settings.