Can I exclude pages from translation?

Hi forum,

I am running a client website on K1 which I am planning to upgrade to K2. It’s a multi-lang website with a panel, and I’d like to exclude the blog from translation. Is this possible at all?

thanks,

Irma

What do you mean by “exclude from translation”? do you want to prevent the non-default languages of the blog page from being translatable in the panel or you don’t just want them to appear on the front end? As I mentioned as an answer to your related post, files are not created automatically …

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes I want to prevent the non-default language of the blog page from being translatable in the panel. Currently, when I create a new blog post, txt files for English (default), Dutch and French are in fact created automatically (you say they aren’t, but I just tested again, they are). When I don’t add any text to the Dutch and French files, my website visitors will see an empty page when viewing the site in either Dutch or French.

I would like to show the default language when a txt file is empty, while keeping the menu in one of the available translations.

Would this be possible at all?

What Kirby Version are you using? I just tested this again with a fresh “langkit”. When I create a new page, a new folder is created with only one text file in it, which gets the ending of the default language. Only when I fill in and save any of the other languages, a new file for that language is created.

Also, the standard behavior is that the contents of the default language are shown if no translated content is available for the selected language.

The problem is, once you are not in the standard language, and add content into the form and save it, a new file is created.

Currently, there is no simple setting to prevent the creation of files in a non-standard language. Maybe this will be possible with panel permissions, but not sure.

The menu, BTW, depends on the language set for a specific user and is independent of the language selected in the language switcher in the topbar.

And here is a little gif to demonstrate this: