What do i need to do to get connected to a database?

Hey there,
I’m trying to use a database with kirby. But I might have misunderstood the docs.

Configuring the db-connection in site/config/config.php is enough, I thought. Like the example from the docs:

return [
  'db' => [
    'host'     => '127.0.0.1',
    'database' => 'kirby',
    'user'     => 'root',
    'password' => 'root',
  ]
];

But no connection was established. Then I tried

• Db::connect(); no reaction
  • Db::connect([]); (the docs say: Pass [] to use the default params from the config)

This time I get an error saying The mysql connection requires either a “host” or a “socket” parameter"

My last try is putting the db-credentials into the array of db::connect() in the page-template.
Now I get connected!

But does that mean I have to put the db-credentials in every page-template or -controller where I need database-access? Where have I gone wrong in the first place?

kind regards,
Ralf

How did you put that first return statement into the config? As a separate return array (won’t work)?

No, just one return-statement.
I have my mysql-db on a raspberry pi, it is not localhost. But I can access it, for instance via phpmyadmin, from a different pc. And I tested the credentials by logging into mysql via ssh. So from this side everything is fine.

This is my config.php:

return [
    'debug' => true,
  	'panel' => [
  		'install' => true,
  	],
	'routes' => [
		[
			'pattern' => 'logout',
			'action'  => function() {
			    if ($user = kirby()->user()) { $user->logout();}
    			go('login');
			}
		]
	],
	'hooks' => [
	// empty for now
       ],
	'db' => [
		'host'     => '192.168.178.53',
		'database' => 'somedb',
		'user'     => 'someuser',
		'password' => 'somepw'
	]
];

If your database is accessible, ie. the data you provide is correct and you have the rights to access a database on that server from PHP, then this is the way to go.

Mhm, changed the database to localhost, now it works.
Maybe I made a mistake in the db-configuration on the raspi?

Have to look into that later …

Thank you for the help!

BTW, in fact in MySQL authorization it makes a difference if you connect via localhost, a dedicated IP (even 127.0.0.1), or via a socket.

of course. But as I said, I access the database (on 192.168.178.53) with phpmyadmin from my laptop, using the IP, and it works fluently …

I have to look deeper into that later on…