Upgrading to Kirby 3: Creating a Panel - Help needed

I am at a bit of a loss trying to upgrade my site from 2 to 3. The site works, but I simply do not understand the new Panel system.

I had a simple portfolio site under Kirby 2. There are pages, and there are ‘works’ which were subpages of the ‘work’ page, defined by their own yml files. That was it.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to recreate the (extremely simple!) panel layout I had under Kirby 2. I know I need to make a new site.yml but the terminology now used doesn’t seem to have any relation to the previous version. I can’t get all of the pages to appear in a pages section, and I can’t figure out how to even display the ‘work’ pages in the panel. I’m stuck at Square One.

I’ve read a lot of posts here and tried to understand the documentation. I’ve used Kirby 2 for ages, and plenty of other systems, but is there a tutorial somewhere that might help? Anything than just pointing to lots of new documentation that doesn’t explain how this relates to existing sites.

Thank you for any help.

Even better - are there any sample blueprints which would mimic the Kirby 2 panel in Kirby 3? This seems like something quite obvious that somebody would have made?

I would suggest maybe watching some of the Videos on the youtube channel, like this one

Theres a few other videos on the channel that i think would be useful like this one

That might help to clear things up for you.

Thank you. Is there anywhere this is written down, rather than in video form?

There’s a lot of documentation about blueprints, but there is no such thing as a Kirby 2 to Kirby 3 comparison. What we stopped documenting after all these years but still exists is the so called presets, which sort of mimicked a typical Kirby 2 setup. They are still documented in the Kirby 3.5 archive (Presets | Kirby CMS)

Other than that:

The site.yml blueprint is where you usually start when you enter the Panel.

Another good starting point is the Starterkit.