Trying to create a hide from navigation function

I have browsed the forums and looked at the solutions for this already but I can’t seem to get it working.

I have a type of checkbox on the blueprint and I can’t seem to check if it’s true. I think I am missing something.

So far I have tried:
<?php if($item->visiblemenu() == '1' && $item->hasVisibleChildren()): ?>
<?php if($item->visiblemenu() == '1' || $item->hasVisibleChildren()): ?>
<?php if($item->bool() && $item->hasVisibleChildren()): ?>
<?php if($item->bool() || $item->hasVisibleChildren()): ?>

I am trying to hide the team members subpage content that is used in the about page from the demo site from the navigation I am generating.

Have you tried

<?php if($item->visiblemenu()->bool() && $item->hasVisibleChildren()): ?>

But the first option should also work.

The solution still doesn’t work because the menu now doesn’t show any sub-pages and if I use || it shows everything. Am I able to do something like ->bool('1')?

What do you want to check and what do you want to happen in each case? Maybe post the complete code as well, not only that single line?

The && operator means, both conditions must be true. The || operator means, one of the conditions must be true.

And no, bool('1') does not exist and does not make sense.

<?php if($item->visiblemenu()->bool()) {
  echo "This line will be echoed if the checkbox `visiblemenu` was checked.";
}
?>
<?php if($item->visiblemenu()->bool() && $item->hasVisibleChildren()) {
  echo "This line will be echoed if the checkbox `visiblemenu` was checked **AND** the page has visible children. If one of the conditions is false, nothing will be echoed";
}
?>

Hmmm, OK. So I am trying to check if it has visible sub-pages, and if the visiblemenu checkbox is ticked then I want it to hide itself from the menu.

I have simply modified the example menu that was provided with the multi-language demo site provided.

<nav class="menu-panel" id="jMenuContainer" role="navigation">
	<div class="menu-panel__wrapper" id="jMenuPanel">
		<ul class="menu-panel__container">
			<li class="menu-panel__title">
				<h4>Info &amp; Services</h4>
			</li>
			<?php foreach($pages->visible() as $item): ?>
				<li class="<?= r($item->isOpen(), 'is-active') ?>">
					<a href="<?= $item->url() ?>" role="button"><?= $item->title()->html() ?></a>
					<?php if($item->hasVisibleChildren() && $item->visiblemenu()->bool()): ?>
						<ul>
								<h4><?= $item->title()->html() ?></h4>
							</li>
							<?php foreach($item->children()->visible() as $subitem): ?>
								<li class="<?= r($subitem->isOpen(), 'is-active') ?>">
									<a href="<?= $subitem->url() ?>" role="button"><?= $subitem->title()->html() ?></a>
								</li>
							<?php endforeach ?>
						</ul>
					<?php endif ?>
				</li>
			<?php endforeach ?>
		</ul>
	</div>
</nav>
<!-- END: menu-panel -->

So I guess I might need 2 if statements or try to check if not ticked with something like if(!$item->visiblemenu()->bool())?

I have little PHP knowledge so this is the first time trying to work with it in any dev sense. I am a HTML, CSS & jQuery Monkey by profession haha.

Maybe something like this?

<?php if($item->hasVisibleChildren() && !$item->visiblemenu()->bool()): ?>

But this still doesn’t work.

What does “it does not work” mean in this case? What is the result? And what is wrong with the result?

The result is still outputting all subpages.

Could it be something to do with the blueprints? It is the standard about & team blueprint provided with the demo site with the addition of this new checkbox field type on the team blueprint.

Well, that’s the problem. You are checking the field on the main pages, so the checkbox should be in the about template.

Hmmm, I want the option of hiding things from specific pages but not all of them. I want to use embedded content stuff like about/team provided in the demo site but hide them from the menu BUT I also want sub-pages of about that are visible.

So how would I achieve something like:

• Home
  • Projects
    • Project A
    • Project B
  • About
    • Bob Meowsky (Hidden)
    • Cat Winslot (Hidden)
    • Awards (Visible)
    • Sponsors (Visible)
  • Contact
  • Etc…

Ah, ok, now we are talking. That’ a completely different story, then you have to check on the subpage, not the parent:

<nav class="menu-panel" id="jMenuContainer" role="navigation">
  <div class="menu-panel__wrapper" id="jMenuPanel">
    <ul class="menu-panel__container">
        <h4>Info &amp; Services</h4>
      </li>
      <?php foreach($pages->visible() as $item): ?>
        <li class="<?= r($item->isOpen(), 'is-active') ?>">
          <a href="<?= $item->url() ?>" role="button"><?= $item->title()->html() ?></a>
          <?php if($item->hasVisibleChildren()): ?>
            <ul>
              </li>
              <?php foreach($item->children()->visible() as $subitem): ?>
                <?php if($subitem->visiblemenu()->bool()): ?>
                  <li class="<?= r($subitem->isOpen(), 'is-active') ?>">
                    <a href="<?= $subitem->url() ?>" role="button"><?= $subitem->title()->html() ?></a>
                  </li>
                <?php endif ?>
              <?php endforeach ?>
            </ul>
          <?php endif ?>
        </li>
      <?php endforeach ?>
    </ul>
  </div>
</nav>
<!-- END: menu-panel -->

OK cool, we are getting closer :slight_smile: haha

You missed out a closing ) btw :stuck_out_tongue:

This section should only output if there are actually sub-pages

</li>

So I’m guessing I will need 2 if statements or move the if statement outside somehow.

Because at the moment About still thinks it has a sub-page and when i click through it is just the title - so I need to move this into the visiblemenu check somehow (I’m guessing)

(BTW I really do appreciate your help :slight_smile:)

EDIT - It can’t move inside the foreach as it’s the parent page’s title

You do know that I just leave them parenthesis out all the time to test your coding skills, don’t ya :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ?

Well, if I look at your structure above, the About page does have subpages that you want to show, doesn’t it? But of course, we could check if a pages has subpages and if there are any subpages that should be shown like this by extending the check for visible children a bit:

<?php if($item->hasVisibleChildren() && $item->children()->filterBy('visiblemenu', '1')->count()): ?>

After you first helped me, I looked out for it when it broke :wink: haha

OK cool, this works - I just need to add in the visiblemenu to every blueprint now. Is there a way I can do that globally? Like is there a way to set default fields for all blueprints?

No, that’s no possible. But you can define global field definitions, so less stuff to type.

Thank you very much. I will continue building my sitemap and functionality requirements and I’m sure I will be back soon with another question haha.