Site slow, php?

Hi, I made a website for my mother a couple of years ago. It is based on the folio x theme.

Now the site loads very very slow. I think it has something to do with the PHP version. It runs (slowly) on PHP 7.2 and 7.3. With version 7.4 and 8.0 the website breaks.

Anyone any idea how to fix this? Thanks!

That’s Kirby 2, right? Have you ensured that Kirby is fully up to date? I think the final release version of Kirby 2 supported PHP 7.4 at the most, and wont receive any further updates. I would suggest at least upgrading your installation to the newest Kirby 2 and consider upgrading the site to Kirby 3 in the near future.

It runs Kirby 3.1.0.

Ah… Upgrade your installation to the latest version of Kirby. 3.1.0 is fairly old now. The latest is 3.5.7. Hopefully that will solve it.

Its possible that it breaks with 7.4 and 8 PHP due to missing php extensions. You may need to enable these through your hosting control panel.Refer to this list

Check your site in dev tools to find out what it really is that is slowing down the website, like javascript, css, images…

In most cases, this is not an issue with the PHP version

On a side note, If you do upgrade you may need to change occurances of visible() to listed listed(). I think that was changed sometime after 3.1.0

Make sure to disable debug mode when done. :wink:

Thanks for the replies! I’m going to recreate the website using the latest Kirby.

Work in progress: Mieke van Zanten | Home