Severe slow-downs and even timeouts

One of our client websites (https://augenchirurgie.clinic/) started a few months ago to feel painfully slow – both in the frontend and in the panel. Since we are constantly working (content- & development-wise) on the site it is difficult (at least for us) to retroactively point to a single issue that is responsible for the extreme slow-downs.

In the last few weeks also external tools like Pingdom, Sistrix, Google PageSpeed Insights and Analytics confirm that something brings our client’s website to a grinding halt.

Currently a complete rework with Kirby 3 is unfortunately no option but we are willing to look into server-side issues or something related to our programming. We even considered the static site builder plugin but this might come with its own challenges.

Our provider looked into the log files and found two Kirby files that are related to the timeouts and maybe these may be also responsible for the general slow-downs:

[Wed Jun 19 01:52:47.844501 2019] [php7:error] [pid 22139] [client 34.97.230.238:58058] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/www/sites/194.245.150.73/site/www/kirby/vendor/getkirby/toolkit/lib/f.php on line 540, referer: http://www.breyerkaymak-augenchirurgie.de/de/
[Wed Jun 19 04:29:48.143435 2019] [php7:error] [pid 5942] [client 5.9.61.101:58658] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/www/sites/194.245.150.73/site/www/kirby/core/content.php on line 37

Even if these two files and the mentioned lines are not directly responsible for the slow-downs and timeouts – what in our own coding may cause these two to misbehave?

Hey Yves,

this is really hard to tell from the outside. I would need to have a closer look at the installation and the plugins you are using there.

Do you use caching?

Hi Bastian,

thanks for taking care of this (at least for us) severe issue. Would you like to have direct access to the server or should I zip and upload the complete server somewhere?

Regarding the caching I have to ask Sascha.

If a zip is possible, it would simplify this a lot. Just send it to bastian@getkirby.com