Panel: Internal Server Error

Hi there

Sometimes, I get a 500 internal error on my panel. It mainly occurs when I’m trying to login, but it happens on page reload as well. The only way to get back into the panel is by entering the panel on a new tab or by visiting the frontend and open the panel again. Does anybody know this issue or is it a misconfiguration by me / on the server side? (Kirby version 3.2.4)

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at service@webmailer.de to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

If it happens sometimes and during POST, you probably need to check and increase post_max_size in php.ini.

@jakobgrommas Have you check the server error log? It might provide more useful information.

@ahmetbora, I’ll check if it helps, thank you!
@texnixe, Thanks for the hint and your great support.

My log file shows following errors:

16.09.2019 16:30:57 domain.com [client 0A00:A00:0000::] AH00124: Request exceeded the limit of 4 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use ‘LimitInternalRecursion’ to increase the limit if necessary. Use ‘LogLevel debug’ to get a backtrace.

should I increase LimitInternalRecursion or is it not required by Kirby?

There is as well following log. But only once for today, even though I reproduced the error a couple of times:

16.09.2019 16:09:48 domain.com [client 00.00.000.0] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 140509184) (tried to allocate 96000001 bytes) in /mnt/[…]/kirby/vendor/claviska/simpleimage/src/claviska/SimpleImage.php on line 787

and last but not least this stuff, where I’m wondering if it’s connected to Kirby at all (even though I don’t have any Wordpress stuff on my webspace):

16.09.2019 16:31:17 domain.com [client 0000:0000:0000::] AH02811: script not found or unable to stat: /home/[…]/wp-login.php

Hi there again

I set the post_max_size to 128M but nothing changed. I’m still getting the errors. Could it be related to the htaccess redirects? Already tried it with and without setting the RewriteBase. It mainly occurs when I reload a page, or when I’m directly trying to reach panel/login.

All the best
Jakob

The error with SimpleImage occurs when resizing images, so maybe you are trying too resize big images and your PHP settings are not sufficient?

But the LimitInternalRecursions issue seems to hint at a problem with too many redirects. The question is where they may come from.

Do you use Kirby in a subfolder or on the document root level? Shared hosting or your own VPS?

Are there any other .htaccess files?

This wp-login.php script error could just be someone trying to call Wordpress login. After all, the script is not found.

There are multiple projects and each has a .htaccess file. But they are all separated in subfolders, nothing in my root level. I’m using a basic (shared) hosting package from Strato. The current project sits inside a structure with 4 folders and has around 44 characters + slashes and domain, could that create any problem?

Not quite sure what you mean?

domain.com           # x characters
- folder-1           # 8 characters
-- folder-2          # 8 characters
--- folder-3         # 8 characters
---- folder-4        # 8 characters
----- project        # x characters

so this example would give me

domain.com/folder-1/folder-2/folder-3/folder-4/project # 54 characters

don’t know if its relevant at all for the redirects, but could the issue be caused by anything like path is too long? (Don’t think so, but I try to understand what could cause this issue.)

Hm, path too long shouldn’t be an issue. Do you only have this issue with pages that far down in the tree?

hi @texnixe

I tried that, but it does not work as well when the folder is only one level deep. it’s kind of strange, cause it only happens when I try to reach panel/login directly or after refreshing any page.

Even when I try to go to /panel afterwards, it won’t work anymore. The only ways to open the panel is going to the frontend and afterwards back to /panel or by using a new tab.

I have a multilingual setup, but that should not be the problem on the panel, right?

I mean, everything works as expected when you don’t refresh a page, but sometimes the user will probably do it. Will test it on another server though, maybe it’s a strato specific thing.

edit: Or could it be a CHMOD issue? (Still doesn’t make sense, since it works without refreshing)

Do you actually have to log in again after this happens?

nope!

Does this also happen with a fresh Starterkit on the same server?

Sorry for the long delay. It works with a fresh starterkit. Could it be related to any hooks?

Any type of extension, hooks, plugins…

hmm, found the solution. It was an old htaccess from v2.

2 Likes