Panel Blueprint Construction help

Am trying to figure out how to construct this through some of the examples in the guide so just want to run it by those more knowledgeable just to point out inefficiencies. The final site is a portfolio site.

In the site.yml file, I’d like to set up the projects section (similar to the starterkit) to be split into three sections- featured projects, recent, and archive. Viewing the starterkit it seems i can leave the albums.yml file as is and reference it when I create that section in the site.yml file.

At this point, I am a bit lost as to how best I should proceed. I was viewing the restaurant menu “categories” example as perhaps a way to assign every new project to a category and then displaying them accordingly.

Or would it be easier to tag each project when its created and then maybe pulling the appropriate tagged projects into each section?

Or do I have to create separate pages for each type of project?

Also, I am wondering if its possible to drag and drop a project into different sections (featured recent and archive) and have them retain that taxonomy.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

Thing is, sections can only be filtered by template and status, not by any sort of category.

Why do they have to be in different sections? What is your use case?

Ok…well they don’t necessarily have to be in sections rather visibly look separate. I want to be able to create projects from the panel homepage that are either a featured project, a recent one, or an archive. Because I create stuff all of the time, it would be cool if i could quickly move projects from featured to archive, etc.

I guess it would look and function similar to this example

Does that make sense?

Well, I get what you mean, but that example is a different story.

What you could do, is use the page display section plugin, which allows you to query pages but any criteria. And then, in addition, add a draft section for adding new pages (because the plugin doesn’t allow adding pages).

I don’t know your criteria for featured, recent or archive, whether you want to do that manually via a select field or rather by date? But any sort of criteria could be used when querying pages in the pages display section.

i’ll try that out. Thanks for the speedy reply! No specific criteria for the separation of the projects besides just choosing manually which projects shuold be where and retiring older projects.

You would still need to introduce a field to filter by, you cannot move the pages around between sections.

If the ability to quickly and easily move projects between those three categories was a priority on the home panel page, can you see any workaround to achieve that? Drag and drop doesnt necessarily have to be the method. Even just a simple toggle of tag or category that I can use to further segregate the projects will do. I’m definitely going to explore the page display section plugin. Thanks for your brainpower on this.

EDIT: while not elegant, I wonder if targeting the order number could be a way to do this using the page display section plugin. Let’s say I designate projects 1 -5 as featured and projects 6-10 as recent and the rest as archive. Then I can display them separately and if I want to quickly move one to a different section, I order it accordingly.

That’s what I already suggested above, use a select or checkboxes field to assign projects to one of those categories featured, archive or recent.

Ahh…I see it now. Thanks for helping me sort it out!

The Page Display Section plugin works brilliantly so thanks for that suggestion.

I have added a category radio field to differentiate between the project options.

At this point, on project card view, I am wondering if its possible for this selection aspect (to change categories) to live on the card somewhere, perhaps in the Options menu.

I feel like the answer is no. So i was exploring leveraging the changeTemplate option to just switch templates (that are essentially the same but with different category tags associated by default).

That’s not possible out of the box. You would have to create a custom section to do this. I’m not sure how difficult it would be to extend the pages display section to add this custom option.

Yeah I figured. I’ll poke around. Thanks