Page is currently offline error


after updating to Kirby 3, I get the error

“This page is currently offline. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and will fix it as soon as possible.”

when I upload the files via FTP.

On localhost with MAMP, it works just fine though.

The console does not show any errors. Neither does Network.

Do you have any tips on how to fix this?

Best regards

Doesn’t the error message also say

Advice for developers and administrators:

Change the PHP version to 7.3, 7.4 or 8.0 (PHP 7.4 is recommended)


Please check what PHP version is active on your server.

Hello texnixe,

yes it does, but my version is 7.3.6, so it should be supported? I can try and update and see if that changes anything.

You can also check your PHP version with phpinfo().

updating to 7.4 seemed to have done the trick, however, another error message is displayed now: This page is currently offline due to an unexpected error. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and will fix it as soon as possible.

Advice for developers and administrators:
Enable debug mode to get further information about the error.

This error is displayed underneath all the content, that now is showing.

I suggest you enable debug in your config file, so that error messages are displayed on-screen:

Note that this mode should be disabled again after solving the problem.

Sorry, I do not understand, as this is all new to me, can you help?

Check if you have access to the php.ini file on the server. If so, check if the sqlite modules is loaded there and if so, disable it.

How would I write the disabling of sqlite in the php.ini?
It seems I have to create a php.ini from scratch.

Does your hosting service use cPanel or a similar administration tool, where you can not only change PHP versions but also the PHP extensions that are used?

But it is weird that PHP loads this module twice. Maybe contact the hosting provider’s support to sort this out for you. This is a configuration issue that has nothing to do with Kirby.

Yeah, I noticed yesterday that it might have to do with the hosting service. I will contact them on Monday and let you know how it went, once the issue is resolved. Is that ok?

Just switched back from php 7.4 to 7.3 and the error disappeared. I have no idea what may be the cause. Just wanted to let you know.

It sounds like it’s a PHP configuration error, as pointed out by @texnixe. It might be worthwhile mentioning it to your service provider, in any case.

As PHP evolves and new versions come out, sometimes extensions become part of the ‘core’, while others that used to be installed by default are ‘dropped’. The way PHP accesses SQLite databases has changed a lot over the years, and in older versions of PHP, in order to access an SQLite database you needed to enable a special extension. In newer versions of PHP these extensions are now ‘default’ and part of the core. It could be that your service provider is still enabling the old SSLite extensions, in case they have developers with very old code, but these might be conflicting with the newer extensions which are part of the core.

Hello and sorry for the late answer, I first had time to check it now. It seems, like @texnixe said, that the sqlite3 was loaded twice. I contacted my host today, and we enabled sqlite3 in the extensions of the php version manager. Now my site runs fine on php 7.4.

Thank you for all the help.