Obfuscate email mark in writer field

I’m very happy about the new(ish) email mark in writer fields (Missing email-mark in the new writer field · Kirby Feedback) but alas email addresses are output without any obfuscation. Am I missing something or would this require a custom filter?

1 Like

Where are you looking? If it has been obfusificated, youll be able to see it by doing View Source. If you look at the code via the browser console, most browsers are clever enough to convert it back inside the console, so it wont look obfusificated there, but it actually is obfusificated in the raw HTML :slight_smile:

It would require a custom filter.

yes, I checked the raw source code, of course… :smirk:

As someone who’s currently switching from textareas to writer automatically encoded email addresses is something I dearly miss in writer. Did you consider adding it to the core?

Good question, I don’t think anyone has ever created a feature request for this?

Kirby 4 will have the option for custom nodes and it should then be possible to also modify the behavior of existing nodes easily.

I wonder how effective email obfuscation really is these days…

There are several approaches to obfuscate an email address, but most of them are at the expense of usability. Obfuscation with CSS has the biggest advantage that the email address does not appear in the source code. Disadvantages are that the email address is only editable in the CSS code and not clickable in the browser. Here you have to weigh between user comfort and SPAM protection.

Here is a solution to disguise an email address completely with CSS:

<style>
.email-rtl::before {
		content: "moc.liam";
		unicode-bidi: bidi-override;
		direction: rtl;
}
.email-rtl::after {
		content: "@ofni";
		unicode-bidi: bidi-override;
		direction: rtl;
}
</style>
<span class="email-rtl"></span>

This solution allows for a more flexible option:

<style>
.email::after {
		content:"@mail.com"
}
</style>
<span class="email">info</span>

Surely there are even more effective ways. My example is just one of them.

What would such a filter look like?

I do think it can still be one simple measure to get rid of sloppy scraping bots. In any case, the effort to implement it is relatively small, so why not?