Multiple options from another field

It was quite handy to get options from another field in the select field. To select many items it would require the same thing in a tags field.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have that feature in the tags field as well?

You mean to limit the possible tags to what you query from another field? Users still would not know which tags they can use, so imho that feature does not really make too much sense.

Yes, I agree. The tags field is not a multi select field.

Multiple options from another field

I came up with a decent workaround for using multiple options from another field.

Strucure field

Put the selectbox in a structure field and it can be used multiple times.

Selectbox

When adding an entry a lovely :heart: modal popup box appears.

Result

Multiple options from another field, presented as a table.

If using @timoetting Builder or my Snippetfield you can make the output even better looking.

Blueprint

If you need it, here it is:

fields:
  tags:
    label: Tags
    type: structure
    style: table
    entry: >
      {{tag}}
    fields:
      tag:
        label: Tag
        type: select
        options: field
        field:
          page: items
          name: types

In the ìtems page:

fields:
  types:
    label: Types
    type: Tags
    lower: true

The multiselect field might be another option.

I don’t think so. It’s inhertited from the CheckboxesField and it does not seems to support getting options from another field.

Right now I can’t reach getkirby.com so I can’t check the docs.

I believe also that the multiselect field might be a really good option in terms of nice UI. Maybe I like that field a lot, I think it’s really well designed.

And, like @jenstornell mentioned, there seems to be something wrong with the getkirby.com SSL. :confused:

I believe also that the multiselect field might be a really good option in terms of nice UI.

I totally agree! It’s a very nice field. I would not mind if it was a native one. @distantnative did a good job on the UI. :slight_smile:

But does it support options from another field? Probably not.

And, like @jenstornell mentioned, there seems to be something wrong with the getkirby.com SSL.

I’ve sent a mail to @bastianallgeier about it so hopefully we can have it back soon. I’m quite dependent on the docs, as I probably have a goldfish memory. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jenstornell in the meantime just clone the getkirby website locally :wink:

2 Likes

Brilliant idea! I did not think of that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, same here. Feels like I’m on this “Finding Kirby” movie sometimes, when it comes to the docs.

3 Likes

LOL! :joy:

Exactly like that! I even post issues that I already have posted before…

@jenstornell:

github.com/getkirby/panel/issues/881

Register set default.yml blueprint crashes panel

@lukasbestle:

You opened the same issue in May already. :smiley:

@jenstornell:

Oh, sorry, I’m getting old…

1 Like

Anyway, goldfish or not, multiple options from another field are supported by select, radio, and checkboxes fields.

1 Like

Since it is supported by the checkboxes field, the multiselect field should support it accordingly.