Multilanguage Site with one Language deactived

Hello,

I have build a Kirby Multilanguage Site. Now the Site shall go live - but first with only one language.

Is there a “best practice” to launch the site without the multilanguage feature (and without deleting the multilanguage configuration and content)? For example: While the automatic language detection has to be activated via the config.php - is it enough to comment the language switcher out to “hide” the content of the second language? (except for those who know the url)

Thankful for all suggestions…

I’d say that depends on what you want. On top of commenting out the language switcher, you could also disable the language setting for the second language in your config file, so that when someone tries to access a link to the second - not active - language, they just get the error page. That way you don’t have uncompleted content leaking into SERPs.

What will you write to do this in the config file?

I’d just comment out the second language until it is ready to go live, like so:

c::set('languages', array(
    /*'en' => array(
      'name'    => 'English',
      'code'    => 'en',
      'locale'  => 'en_US',
      'url'     => '/en',
    ),*/
    'de' => array(
      'name'    => 'Deutsch',
      'code' => 'de',
      'locale'  => 'de_DE.UTF-8',
      'default' => true,
      'url'     => '/',
    ),
));
1 Like

Thank you, that’s a convincing & simple solution. I was just wondering, if the content files would be working, if you deactivate the language settings, but you leave one language active - so it should be no problem to have the default.de.txts in the content folder.

Yes, that’s no problem at all. In fact, once you start with one language, you should have the appropriate language text files (or, they are generated automatically, if you use the panel, anyway).