How to customize/override the user password validation?

Hello,

I tried to find out how I can customize/override the user password validation process but I didn’t find a proper function to override. I found these 3 at https://getkirby.com/docs/reference/objects/user?advanced=yes :

None of these 3 validates the password according to the criterias when you want to change the current password of an user. I also checked the validators but there is no user password validator. So what do I have to override to apply custom password rules like length, special characters, etc.?

Is the proper way to use a user.changePassword:before hook and then throw an exception if the new password doesn’t fulfills the criterias to prevent the password change?

A general question about hooks: Are hooks used by Kirby 3’s core or are they non-implemented? Like does Kirby 3 use any hook itself or are they just provided for the customers/developers of customer projects? I’m asking because I think that’s the only place left I could look at to find the validation of Kirby 3 user passwords but I don’t find any source code of the hook if I search for changePassword, user.changePassword or user.changePassword:before via Github’s repository search and thus I’m not sure about this.

Best Regards,

Length validation for the changePassword() method happens here

{
        if (Str::length($password ?? null) < 8) {
            throw new InvalidArgumentException([
                'key' => 'user.password.invalid',
            ]);
        }

return true;
    }

(/kirby/src/Cms/UserRules.php)

I don’t know if there is a way to override these methods, though. The only way I can think of is via a user model, but that would be role based, not in general.

Or you can implement your own login view with your own authentication methods: https://getkirby.com/docs/reference/plugins/extensions/panel-login

1 Like

Is there a reason why a hook like I described wouldn’t work? It’s fine if the 8 chars minimum password validation still kicks in because the password strength validation will be stronger than looser so > 8 chars. I suspect I misunderstand the way I can use hooks in this case like my idea wouldn’t work at all.

An own login view seems overkill if I like to share the results with third parties as a plugin.

What I try to achieve: I want to enforce a specific length with at least one special character and then I would like to validate the password against the Have I been Pwned API to prevent weak passwords: https://haveibeenpwned.com/API/v2#SearchingPwnedPasswordsByRange

The need for this is because Kirby 3 offers zero bruteforce protection and this has been a known successful attack scenario in the past and I prefer a secure authentication over some htaccess or firewall rules. The panel has to be usable (I can’t disable it in my use case). So I think implementing better passwords is easier than implementing a bruteforce protection in Kirby 3.

That’s not quite true, because after each wrong try Kirby sleeps a while and also, it tracks invalid login trials and blocks an IP after 10 wrong trials (default setting, can be changed in config).

But yes, a route before hook could work.

1 Like

I’m surprised @texnixe! Is this at all documented somewhere? I found nothing in the references, the security guide (which then contains a misleading sentence about bruteforcing Kirby 3) and only outdated posts on this then. I did some research in the past before I wanted to do this and I found zero information about this.

Edit: I found this How does Kirby 2.2 bruteforce protection work? and Is Kirby secure?. Seems like the first time I didn’t find the first thread. Seems like there is a bruteforce protection beginning to ban after 5 (?) tries. At least it triggered before 10 times.