Guggenheim - An algorithm for a perfectly balanced Gallery for Kirby

Alright, so Iā€™ve just updated the demo a tiny bit and for those interested in volume licenses and for those who donā€™t want to even deal and bother with licenses at all - Iā€™ve just expanded the options a bit :blush:

https://sitemarina.github.io/guggenheim/

:revolving_hearts: For a limited time only Guggenheim Plugin is following the Kirby Pro Discount of 25% :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

First of all Iā€™d like to thank those of you being among the very first backers of my plugin. It truly means a lot more to me, than you can ever imagine! :grin:

Guggenheim 1.0.3

I have squashed a pretty serious bug that caused the gallery to not being perfectly balanced and instead had some very uneven and rugged edges, and a couple of minor ones, a couple of enhancements has also been added.

There has also been som confusion about integrating Guggenheim with PhotoSwipe, so Iā€™ve made that part a bit more clearerer right here https://github.com/SiteMarina/guggenheim#setup

The rest is:

• Only output figcaptions if a ā€˜captionā€™ field is present and filled for the image
  • Add a option for setting the max-width of the gallery like (gallery: all width: 1200 max-width: 100%)
  • Add the option for adding per gallery classes like (gallery: all class: customclass anotherclass)

Anyways, I hope youā€™ll like this update :blush:

Guggenheim has been updated

As the holiday spirit is closing in, I thought Iā€™d kick it off with a early christmas present in the form of yet a delicious Guggenheim update :gift:

Iā€™ve eased the setup a bit, and Guggenheim now ships with PhotoSwipe in a simple form, which Iā€™ve also reflected in the docs https://github.com/SiteMarina/guggenheim

An important bug that might have given my German (and other comma decimal delimited) friends a hard time, has also been fixed.

Guggenheim 1.0.4

• [x] Fixes an important issue when PHP locale was set to a locale which uses comma as a decimal separator - floats that was outputted in the inline styles got screwed, as decimal separators in CSS has to be periods.
  • [x] Ships with PhotoSwipe 4.0.1 and especially the PhotoSwipe DOM which you now easily can either manually copy from the guggenheim/snippets/photoswipe-dom.php or simply include it in your footer with <?= photoswipe() ?>

I really hope this 1.0.4 update, worked out great for you and your locale settings @texnixe ? :blush:

Hi, @JimmyRittenborg, yes, this works perfectly now :smile: Thanks for the fast update!

1 Like

Great plugin!
The only reason I got Kirby was because of the Guggenheim gallery, with the Devā€™s help to implement it, it works beautifully now.

only have one questionā€¦ is it possible to have something like a loading icon with bigger galleries?
I have a few with 100+ photoā€™s and running on my server it can take up to 10 seconds of connecting before itā€™s loaded.
It would be great to show the visitor that something is loading.

thanks!

1 Like

Hi @nixx - welcome to the Kirby Community!

Thank you for the kind words about my plugin, Iā€™m happy you like it and that I could get you up and running.

Loading spinners is really never ideal for stuff like this and while only indicating that something is slow (and most likely could have been done better) people hate them.

But the 10 sec. Load time youā€™re experiencing is just once before thumbnails are generated right? After that it loads smoothly? Keep in mind that ideally youā€™d be the only one to experience this, when checking the page youā€™ve created for the first time.

Haha, I know, loading spinners are horribleā€¦ and I hate them too :slight_smile:
But in this case I think itā€™s better then to let people wonder why it takes so long.
the big galleries are used for personal stuff (events etc) and shared with friends and Iā€™ve seen them pushing the button to open it already 4 times while itā€™s actually loadingā€¦ so I figured Iā€™d need a spinner.

the thing is. I do love high-res images (2k) and with 150 in a gallery it indeed takes 7-12 seconds (depending on my server loadā€¦ which is just a Synology) for it to open.
The first time generation of the gallery takes a few minutes and often times out, so itā€™s purely loading it after itā€™s generated.
The galleries with only a few images loads instantly.

So either I have to limit the image size (which with all 4k monitors around isnā€™t a preferred option) or I need to upgrade my server (unfortunately also not an option at the moment, itā€™s a Synology DS1813+ combined with a DX513)
So then I figured to have a darned loading icon to load the main gallery page would be the most realistic optionā€¦

If you like I can PM a link to the gallery to see what i mean.
Once the gallery is open there is no delay while swapping through the individual images

So this is in fact the load speed you experience after initial thumb generation ? Because Guggenheim resize the images, so that 2K isnā€™t served unless you with want it by clicking or taping to open the picture for its fullsize.

But yeah, shoot me a link to your project so I can inspect it a bit deeper :smiley:

aah yeahā€¦ thatā€™s trueā€¦ then i fear itā€™s just due to my synology.
my NAS has 42TB of total space, half+ is full and itā€™s focused on redundancy instead of speed/write performance.
I do have 1GB/s glassfiber (up.down), so that shouldnā€™t be a hold up

I just send you the link to the galleries.

thanks again for your commitment to this plugin!!

Just going to say this is a fantastic solution for my needs right now.

Iā€™ll definitely be trailing it hopefully using it on my personal site and company site(s). Unfortunately couldnā€™t convince the people Iā€™m doing some work for now to get this but who knows :smiley:

A suggestion, a potentially alternative product is actually use this exact same algorithm to create beautiful button/panels. I found it to be a huge problem to have large high res images act as panels for me to click on and for them to resize accordingly and fit nicely but yeah kudos.

Not sure if it can be done easily for that but yeah Iā€™d buy that for sure :smiley:

Hotfix for Kirby 2.3 coming.

Okay for all of you - Iā€™m currently wrapping up a hotfix for when using (gallery: all) or (gallery: ) in Kirby 2.3.

After this, a long awaited overhaul is ahead of Guggenheim. I have a great list of enhancements and feature requests, and as you know Kirby 2.3 makes plugins soooo much better in general when i comes to assets, snippets etc.

Your Questions Answered.

Hi @nixx,

I think I know whatā€™s causing this, I think that all images has to be loaded before the PhotoSwipe logic is actually wrapping it all up - but Iā€™d have to look closer into this (Iā€™ll do my best to get around it for its upcoming overhaul) :blush:

Thank you @JIrving,

I donā€™t really have a trail in place for it at the moment, but if you find out that you donā€™t like it after youā€™ve bought it, just hit me up and Iā€™ll refund you right away :slight_smile:

Youā€™re now the third suggesting using Guggenheim in a navigation pattern, and I did give it some thought some time ago and concluded that it could probably be pretty cool if it could be used to generate something like http://international.tiffany.com/jewelry so I do have an eye on this one.

100% agree :slight_smile: I look forward to future developments :smiley:

Great to hear you found the bottleneck, looking forward to those updates!

Guggenheim 1.0.5 (hotfix) for Kirby 2.3 is out.

Thereā€™s also a huge pre-overhaul price drop on the Unlimited License https://sitemarina.github.io/guggenheim/

Guggenheim has been updated.

Kirby 2.3 has finally landed, but there has been reported a bug when using (gallery: all) and (gallery: ) which this minor hotfix solves.
You can upgrade simply by just swapping out the plugins/guggenheim/guggenheim.php file.

1 Like

Hi Jimmy,
I had a look at this plugin and it looks great.
In fact for the last couple of years, Iā€™ve been looking for an open-source, db-less, fast and modern self-hosted gallery engine. Until now, Iā€™ve found absolutely nothing worth !

Would Guggenheim could be the solution for me ? Maybeā€¦

But first I have a concern : Guggenheimā€™s code is not publicly available : why ?
Iā€™m not against paying for quality, at all. When Bastian says "Building something is easy. Taking care for it over a long time is not. " Iā€™m 150% with him. Therefore itā€™s blocking to me not being able to inspect & try the code, freely and publicly.

on How to license a Kirby plugin? I can read

Should the code be available for free for testing purposes? I really like that idea, because the only reason why Iā€™m a convinced of Kirby now was the possibility to test it before buying it.

Iā€™m 100% convinced of the above. This is what I like so much with Kirby : it is free to try it, but at the same time you are invited to take a license becauseā€¦ It is simply and indubitably a good software. And the consequent side effect is how good and solid you build the community.

It is why I would like to see any commercial Kirby pluginā€™s code absolutely open, taking the risk to contradict what Bastian has written on this thread : This model is the essence of Kirby !.

Otherwise, it donā€™t feel it really serve the project. To me itā€™s more like a curb, with the illusion it could protect against ā€œbadā€ people. 'Cause ā€œbadā€ people are smart enough :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Hi @Martinus, no worries - just PM me your e-mail adress and Iā€™ll send you a copy for you to validate :blush:

Hi Jimmy thatā€™s kind of you. Therefore I still think that having the code on github would serve the project more than deserve, only my opinion btw.

Now, I have some usage questions for you. My use case is I have a folder tree sorted by theme. in short folder = albums/sub-albums etc. Letā€™s say I have 200 photos in one of those folder, for display purpose I assume I would have to handle pagination on my own, right ?

PS : I still doesnā€™t get why this kind of gallery software isnā€™t part of a standalone web-gallery software !?

Good morning, @JimmyRittenborg, ist this plugin going to work with Kirby 2.4? I hope to buy and test it soon. Looks very nice!