Error after upgrading to Kirby 2.2.3

So far I have been upgrading Kirby manually by copying the kirby directory (don’t use or need panel) as specified here. When doing the same for Kirby 2.2.3, the website appeared empty (in a sense that when going to the index page with a web browser, it appears empty) and there was the following in error_log:

PHP Fatal error:  require() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required '/home/account_folder/public_html/site.tld/kirby/bootstrap.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/account_folder/public_html/site.tld/index.php on line 6

The kirby directory wasn’t empty and appears to have been copied correctly. The error may not be related to the problem, though. I can’t see any other errors, even in the webserver logs.

Reverting back to the folder from 2.2.2 fixed everything.

Any idea what is going on?

Could you pls. download the Starterkit again? I just tried it and the folders are not empty.

The error looks like the kirby directory you copied in is empty.

The kirby directory is not empty. That is the directory at the same level with assets, content etc. I am clarifying this because there is another kirby inside that one.

The web site appears empty in a sense that the index page has no content. Added that to the original post.

Then could you please check if there’s a file at /home/account_folder/public_html/site.tld/kirby/bootstrap.php? If there is, the error message you posted does not relate to the problem (as the issue behind that is already fixed).

Yes, there is bootstrap.php there. I can’t see any other errors anywhere, neither in error_log of kirby nor in the webserver logs.

Does the error you posted continue to appear?

The error actually seems to be related to the moment when I switch the kirby folders, i.e. if there is a hit on the website between the moment when I rename the old kirby folder and unzip the new one. So it may not be relevant to the problem (no content served on the website).

The problem still happens with 2.2.3 and doesn’t with the previous version. Strangely enough, there is no error on my Mac (using MAMP). The host that I use is Linux, could it be some kind of settings that are not compatible with Kirby 2.2.3?

Alright, that makes sense. So the error isn’t related to the problem.

I just checked the diff between Kirby and Toolkit v2.2.2 and v2.2.3. There isn’t any change that should affect the general setup of your site.

Could you please try uploading a fresh starterkit in place of the actual site to check if Kirby 2.2.3 itself works on your server?

This is with fresh Kirby 2.2.3 starter kit:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘[’ in /home/account_folder/public_html/site.tld/kirby/toolkit/lib/f.php on line 547

What version of PHP are you using on your server?

Kirby needs PHP 5.4+ since version 2.2.

Same error as in this thread Unexpected '[' in f.php

Thanks a lot, this was the problem – PHP was 5.3.x; changed in Cpanel to 5.4 and it works now.

Well, glad we finally found the culprit. I’m a bit surprised though that you claimed the error appeared after upgrading from 2.2.2 to 2.2.3, because 2.2.2 required PHP 5.4 as well.

If you can, please already switch to a newer PHP version. PHP 5.4 is already not being developed anymore and even PHP 5.5 is going to be discontinued in July. We recommend to use PHP 5.6 or PHP 7.0 (which is the best as it is waaay faster).

I think that I actually upgraded from 2.2.1 (I see Nov 18 file timestamps on the older version that I keep, that are consistent with the date for that version on github), but somehow it worked.

Thanks, upgraded to 5.6 (for some reason 7.0 breaks another software on another domain under the same hosting account).

7.0 is very new, so yes, it might still cause issues with software that isn’t compatible yet.