Disappearing content on save

Since updating my website to Kirby 3.8, i experience some strange behavior when i’m in the Panel editing content. The first character of the title inside the .txt file becomes lowercase and the content of the file just disappears. This happens sometimes as soon as i edit and save.

When i look up the content of the .txt file outside of the Panel, it is empty, except for the title and UUID field.

I use:

• Kirby CMS 3.8.1
  • PHP 8.0.24
  • Server: Apache

Anyone an idea what the problem is? Is this because of the new UUIDs? I’m a long time Kirby CMS user. I update my website as soon as an update is available.

While I don’t know the actual cause (so can’t help, sorry) I can confirm that I have also experienced this issue when upgrading to Kirby 3.8.

A single page of my website lost all content. On opening the .txt file for the page in question I found it to be empty aside from title, navigation and UUID.

The only difference I could see between this particular page and other pages within my site is that it does not appear within navigation (unlisted) and uses the url() helper.

Maybe same problem:

Thanks for the suggestion but when i look at the backup of my website before executing the update to Kirby CMS 3.8, there are no orphaned .txt files for the particular pages where the content disappeared. It seems like it happens totally random.

Bugs can exist in software, but content that gets completely erased out of the .txt file is really bad. I’ve always considered those .txt files to be very safe against errors…

Thanks for the information.
However, with my own website the page in question is text only.

The other thing is that I didn’t make any modifications to the page. I simply upgraded my local install to Kirby 3.8 by replacing the core Kirby directory, logged into the Panel and the page was gone.

I’ve been able to reproduce this issue twice (same page) but appears to be ok with 3.8.1.

That’s correct: i’ve also experienced the issue on some pages without doing any modification. Updating to Kirby CMS 3.8 was enough to trigger it.

First of all, I’m super sorry that this happens/happened. Erased content is the worst case. We currently don’t really have an idea where it could come from and need to dig deeper into possible causes.

Here are some questions:

1. Are you running a single language site or do you have multiple languages?
  2. Are there any plugins related to content changes?
  3. Anything else you noticed?
1 Like

Hi Bastian,
No apology necessary… I always work with a backup! :wink:

To answer your questions:

1. I’m running a single language website.
  2. I do not have any plugins installed (stock Kirby install).
  3. The page in question has unlisted status in the Panel.
1 Like
  1. Single language site.
  2. No. Pure Kirby CMS core.
  3. I’ll try to reproduce it asap.
2 Likes

I had the same issue - I had 2 or 3 pages erased.

Single language site with a few plugins - If I have time I try to reproduce it.

1 Like

I’ve made every effort to replicate this issue using a duplicate site with a Kirby 3.7.5 installation → 3.8.0. I then tried 3.7.5 → 3.8.1 but thus far have been unable to reproduce. The upgrade works as expected with no erased content.

We are currently working on a patch for this that should be available in the next days. Sorry again for the issue.

2 Likes

I’ve tried to reproduce the issue with exact te same files and system settings, but was unsuccessful. Since creating this topic, it didn’t happen again. I’ve also switched my webhosting to PHP 8.1 to be 100% up-to-date.

• The erasing of content only happenend on my production website. My local website (exact copy) didn’t had any problems. The only difference was the PHP version. Local: 8.1, production: 8.0.
  • All content and field names were removed in the .txt file, except the title and UUID field.

Great to see that the Kirby development team takes action so quickly to fix this! Thank you.

We found a solution and have already started working on a patch PR: https://github.com/getkirby/kirby/pull/4800

The release is planned for Monday.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like